Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Went away for a bit, Laid down :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went away for a bit, Laid down :(

Friday, July 25th... I was riding with a buddy. Just left his house, I was about two minutes down the road from being home. I came into a corner faster than I thought and it happened in a second.

At the time I've only had my 04' F4i for less than a month, Still had my temp tags on the bike to be exact :/ So I wasn't the most experienced you can say.

Anyways... I came into the corner a little faster than I anticipated and I panicked (being a new rider) I grabbed the front brake, it began to lock up. From what I remember it seemed like I was about to hit the asphalt, then I don't remember anything else. My friend described me as a "ragdoll". Him witnessing it said I slid 50 feet and finally stopping into a telephone poll. I remember waking up and being against it and a little of being rushed to the hospital. After that they drugged me up pretty bad and I can't remember much else.

It's a little over 9 weeks since the day of my crash and I'm finally close to being back to normal/100% now. I still feel like a old man only being almost 20 but, I'm glad to be alive. I wouldn't be any close to where I am now if it wasn't for friends, family, and support (waking up and being told practically every single one of my friends were there was the nicest feeling). Honestly, without hesitation I would not put my worst enemy through what I went through. A lot of riders recieved worst injuries but, after the accident I recieved 4-5 broken/fractured bones in my lower back/spine area, a shattered pelvic bone, broken rib, tons of fractured bones and a good amount of road rash (In my opinion the road rash was the worst part)...

Possibly one of my worst experiences in my life that has happened and might possibly stay the worst for a long time if not forever. I can't explain in words how bad the pain felt. Other riders who have laid they're bikes down can relate but, for someone who hasn't it's unreal.

Been a while since I've been on here. So saying hi again!

Figured I'd throw a few pictures up also (first picture is kind of iffy). I didn't bother taking any other pictures because I hated life at the time:

Name:  0725081749.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  reaize.jpg
Size:  169.7 KB

The bike just recently was picked up for a parts bike unfortuantly Wanted to rebuild it over time but, just wasn't the right time I guess. Here's a few more pictures I took for the for sale ad:

Name:  1-8.jpg
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  2-8.jpg
Size:  141.2 KB

Thanks,

-Shawn

Old 10-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Went away for a bit, Laid down :(

Welcome back!! :-)

OMG!! the bike!! ..OMG!! ..you!!

Glad you are alright now, bikes can really bite you ... stay safe!!

Jules

EDIT: you simply must become totally adept with counter steering, click my link in sig ... you say you panicked?? ..in these situations 9 times out of ten the bike would have gone round but when we panic we stand the bike up and take it too wide ... also grabbing a handful of front brake in a bend causes a bike to stand up and run wide ..or in your case lock up and crash

EDIT2: oh and er um, sorry for the lecture ... I threw mine down the road the other week too ..lol ..no where near as bad as you but yes, it hurts alot .. I always say to people you know when you walk into a hard object like a piece of furniture, catching your hip on it or something ..how it can double you up with pain .. well you are like doing only 1mph or less ...

But nothing has ever beaten the pain of seriously stubbing my little toe on a chair or table leg ...*that* can kill!! ..lol

Old 10-01-2008, 03:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not even sure what to say except I'm glad you're well enough to tell us.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:26 AM
Banned

Hey Shawn, glad to hear you're nearly back to 100%!!You ripped the wholefront end off of that bike and are alive to tellus about it. Not too shabby in my book.

Welcome back and don't be a stranger.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear you survived. Lessons learned I suppose. We all were beginners at some point. We all have our mistakes that we made. Some worse than others.

On a side note...it's nice to see a 20 year old able to form coherent sentences with proper spelling. It's a phenomenon that seems so rare on the internet these days.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, you did a number on that F4i, chief! definately glad to hear you are able to sit here and tell us this story. you gotta figure alot of people in motorcycle accidents, their family has to tell their story [X(]. so, continue healing up and keep on enjoying life!

do you plan to ever ride again?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 AM

and...............................nice car in the sig!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:37 PM

Thank you for all the kind comments. It means a lot.

I do truly realize that I am very lucky considering what could of happened to me and I've thought about that every single day since the first memory of actually wrecking. When something similar to this happening, some people learn and some do not. I defiantly have learned something from this experience (quite a lot to be exact). Can't really be truthful when I say that I wasn't the biggest religious person but, I thank the man up stairs everyday now.

Will I ever ride again? Maybe but, most likely not for a while. Family and friends didn't exactly like the idea of me getting a bike in the first place (different for some others but, my family didn't like bikes all that much). I still have a passion for motorcycles and always will I think.

Eventually wanted to rebuild the bike and get on it time to time. I decided to sell it though and buy a car for a daily driver instead. Defiantly will consider another Honda down the road sometime though. I loved the bike to death and hated to see it go even in it's condition.

Thanks Jaynd and thank you to everyone else again,

-Shawn

Old 10-01-2008, 06:02 PM

well, you cant let family stop you really (unless you have very young kids). my mom, dad, and sister HAAAAAAAATED the fact that i got a bike, and still dont exactly like it. they've seen me wreck 3 times now..........w/ the second, my mom had to watch me as a helicopter flew me from the scene (only for a concusion)....but she had no idea of my condition. BUT........she's trying. she knows its something i love w/ a PASSION and that i dont plan to give it up no matter how many times i go down. i feel like its in my blood. next summer im going to try to get my mom, dad, and sis to go watch me do trackdays.

sorry to thread jack, not trying to throw my own story up..........just my own advice for ya. if its something you love, dont give it up. sure, take time to get your head right as w/o a doubt this was a traumatic experience for you.....but dont give up on it if you love it.

take care

Quick Reply: Went away for a bit, Laid down :(