Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Irresponsible bike owner?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Irresponsible bike owner?

In my condo complex there is a open but secured parking lot (walls, big automatic gate but no roof) and I have a neighbor who has a F3 that got stolen last year. He would sometimes cover his bike but it was NEVER locked. Not even a disk-lock (just the ignition lock).
I didn't really know him back then but he knocked on my door one day saying that his bike was missing and if I had seen anything. I hadn't. He said it was locked when it got stolen (although I'm 100% it was not. I hadn't seen it locked once!).

Anyway, a month later it was retrieved by the cops and he had to get some stuff fixed at the dealership (fairing, ignition, gas cap, turn signals etc.). Of course the dealership charged the **** out of him, but that's a different subject.

When his bike got stolen I bought a wall anchor for my bike (he loaned me a big chain lock which he later just gave to me. That was pretty nice) and I locked the bike to it.
At the time my bike was completely fairing and tankless because I was painting it. I'm sure someone peeked underneath my cover because it wasn't the way I had left it. Then again, it wasn't worth taking it and it was locked.

Anyway I installed the wall anchor and later got the Spy alarm. When I'm home and planning on using the bike during the day I'll just use the ignition lock and arm the alarm. Over night I'll arm the alarm, put on the cover and use the disk lock. Whenever I don't cover the bike I'll use the wall anchor too. Sometimes I'll use everything when I'm feeling neurotic. If my alarm does go off, I will be able to see what's going on within seconds. My terrace overlooks the parking lot and my space is right at the end of the terrace.

I also installed a wall anchor for him (I don't have a car but I have a parking space in the parking lot. He rents part of it and put's his bike next to mine) and he bought a heavy chain lock. Lately I had seen the bike completely unlocked, AGAIN! Now it's none of my business but I don't feel like attracting lurkers over to my bike because they see his unlocked all the time.

I emailed him after a few days basically saying "Dude.... lock your ****. Last year wasn't enough of a lesson?" He replied, jokingly saying that he couldn't even get someone to steal it! I know he want's a Gixxer 750 and he told me yesterday that he can't get it sold (though I gave him a different website which probably will give him more chance of selling it). He did agree that it was probably a good idea to start locking it again.

I just think it's a bit irresponsible and I feel he doesn't really care for his bike that much.. My bike is my baby, even if it's only a 12 year old F4. If it gets stolen, I have no means of transportation.

PS: His reason for not locking it? He can't bend over in his riding pants... He had jeans on every time I saw him park so...

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 06-09-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound like he has a case of being a 4 letter word that starts with "L", ends with "Y", and AriZona is somewhere in the middle.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
PS: His reason for not locking it? He can't bend over in his riding pants... He had jeans on every time I saw him park so...
What is he wearing for riding pants, a full body cast? Come on... it definitely sounds like he is lazy, irresponsible, etc. Hopefully, if someone jacks his bike again they will see how locked down yours is and leave it alone.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 PM

You should put some bear traps right at the edge of your bike cover so that they're not visible, but will spring if someone gets too close. You should also get a 24/7 nannycam with a motion sensing trigger to record. I'm half joking.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:41 PM

Maybe he is lazy or maybe he doesnt care. I only use the ignition lock and cover my bike. I also live in a gated apartment complex(a very nice one). There is a camera pointed right at my bike as well.

I used to lock it with two heavy chains around a awning pole. I went and bought two 7ft sections and then wrapped it in plastic(so it wouldnt scratch) as i put it through the front tire and the swing arm. It used to take me about 2 mins to cover my bike and chain it up and i gave up chaining it once i saw a local hardware store had a hydraulic chain cutter that could be purchased.

There are 7 bikes around my apartment complex. If a theif really wants my bike they will take it no matter what. The best i can do is have full coverage and a camera on it.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:58 AM

I've thought about a little camera but got the alarm instead. I'm not too worried about getting my bike stolen in general but I also don't want any unwanted attention because some other dude doesn't care for his belongings.

Just arming the alarm and using a disklock is probably all I need because I'm in the 'safest' corner of the parking lot (closest to the big electric gate) but I use the cover and/or wall anchor for peace of mind. I really want a second (and third) bike and my next one will be worth considerably more than my current F4 and will then have to tell the guy to park somewhere else so I have extra space.