Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Irresponsible publishing.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irresponsible publishing.....

Read this…..

http://www.lakecities.com/main.asp?S...57&TM=4895.928

If you're as ticked as I was, then write here to express your outrage:

editor@sunnewspapers.com

Old 03-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Default RE: Irresponsible publishing.....

email sent[:@] what a pice of garbage.. this is how jouranlism works... bad news sells. then making it sound worse then it really is makes it sell more.. at least thats my understanding of it.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:33 PM

that guy was a moron on his rag.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:45 PM

email sent. What a JACKASS!

Old 03-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Retired Admin

Some people suprise the hell out of me.....I thought I would share my e-mail I sent to this ********.

[color=#330000][b]Dear Douglas "Managing Editor"

I wanted to take a moment and comment on your article "Airing of grievances". Particurly the first part regarding motorcycles. I am a bit shocked to see someone in the reporting field that has such a one sided opinion. Your comments regarding the subject I feel are unfair to the largest group of riders who do obey the written laws and are responsible in our sport and riding practices. To group the entire field of riders into one set is the most obvious and perfect example of wrongful stereotyping that I have ever seen. In your profession I would expect accurate numbers and possible research prior to any article written. Possibly the following information would be of some enlightenment for you in future endeavors with motorcycles.
Due to the increased risk of serious injury and public perceptions of motorcyclists, a person injured in a collision between a motorcycle and another motor vehicle will generally benefit from consulting a lawyer who is experienced with handling motorcycle accident cases.

Prejudice Against Motorcyclists
Many people have a negative attitude toward motorcyclists, which emerges in part from the driving conduct of a minority of motorcyclists, in part from misperception, and possibly in part from stereotypes from movies, TV, and fiction. This can affect both how motorcyclists are treated by other drivers while on the road, and also can lead people to assume that the motorcyclist is somehow at fault for an accident even when the only negligent conduct was on the part of the other driver.

Dangerous Driving Conduct
Dangerous driving conduct by both motorcyclists and other vehicles can contribute to the likelihood of an accident. Certain driving conduct by motorcyclists also affects public perceptions of other riders.

Failure to Yield When Turning - Many accidents with motorcycles occur when the drivers of other vehicles fail to observe them in an oncoming traffic lane prior to making a turn, particularly a left turn. Drivers must pay due attention to the possibility that a motorcycle will be on the roadway. Motorcyclists should be aware that drivers often fail to observe them, and should exercise appropriate care at intersections.

Lane Changes - Drivers may fail to notice a motorcyclist in their blind spot, or may otherwise fail to notice a motorcycle when shoulder-checking or looking in their mirrors before changing lanes. Drivers must exercise appropriate care to observe motorcycles and to respect their presence on the road. Motorcycle riders should be aware that drivers may not observe them, and should take care when passing cars.

Failure to Observe a Safe Following Distance - Motorists sometimes fail to respect the vulnerability of motorcycles, or to recognize that a motorcycle may be able to stop more quickly than a car, and fail to follow at a safe distance.

Slowing Traffic - Sometimes a group of motorcyclists will drive at an inconsistent speed, or will drive below the overall speed of traffic, causing cars to queue behind them. When this happens, drivers may fail to follow at a safe distance, or may attempt to pass the group of motorcyclists in an unsafe manner.

Passing on the Shoulder - Sometimes when traffic is dense, motorcyclists will zip past backed-up cars on the shoulder of the roadway. Depending upon state law, this may constitute illegal passing. Motorcyclists need to be on guard for cars which may try to pull onto the shoulder, whether to pass or stop, or which may nose over to try to see the cause of the backup. They must also watch for debris, obstructions, or poor surface conditions.

Weaving - Sometimes motorcyclists pass cars by weaving between lanes. Drivers may not see a motorcyclist approaching in this manner from behind them, and motorcyclists should take care that unexpected

Old 03-20-2006, 05:44 PM

wow that was a great letter.. be sure and let us know if he writes back.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:30 PM

Nice letter Chris.

I just tried the link and it looks like the article has been pulled. Maybe a result of our feedback????

Looking at the big, fat, stupid looking melon on that editor I'm not too surprised that he ain't the smartest cow patty in Texas. That guy's head is huge.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:23 AM

OUTSTANDING letter, Chris!! WOW!!!

Yeah, later yesterday afternoon, someone on another forum pointed out that the article was no longer there. The title, the heading, the picture, and his name are all there, but the article *poof* gone.

Whoo hooo! Good work everyone!

Old 03-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Retired Admin

ORIGINAL: neebelung

OUTSTANDING letter, Chris!! WOW!!!
It's amazing how the words just flow when I get inspired!! lol I was just a bit upset when I wrote that......I hope he got the point! [8D]

Old 03-22-2006, 02:27 PM

Excellent work everyone.... the word is getting around. This is spreading like WILDFIRE. (and thanks to the "quote" function, even though the article was pulled offline, it still lives!)

A friend wrote to the AMA yesterday, and received this response:

Thanks for writing to us about Douglas Simpson’s editorial in last Thursday’s edition of The Lake Cities Sun. The AMA contacted Mr. Simpson to discuss his statements about motorcyclists; although he’s declined to issue a retraction or a public clarification, the editorial no longer appears on the newspaper’s website.

If you’d like to write Mr. Simpson a respectful response at editor@sunnewspapers.com, please remind him that we, too, are concerned about the irresponsible riding he described, and that we support reasonable efforts by law-enforcement officials to control it. We object, however, to an editor describing to his readers his impulse to harm motorcyclists, as well as his characterization of all motorcyclists as “fair game.”

Best,

Tom Lindsay, Public Information Director

American Motorcyclist Association

13515 Yarmouth Drive, Pickerington, OH 43147

614-856-1910 ext. 1357

tlindsay@ama-cycle.org

Quick Reply: Irresponsible publishing.....