Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Getting back on after this past winter

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting back on after this past winter

I've only got one solid season of riding under my belt as of now. Given, I did make a big upgrade, I felt a bit cumbersome on my bike the first few times out. I just went for a ride and a lot of it starting coming back to me, but do you guys do anything to get rid of the cobwebs? All I know is that my inner thighs are actually kinda sore. It seems I've forgotten to be light on the handle bars and my left foot seems to get itchy and it feels like it's sliding around on the peg. As the mountain passes are probably still a bit wet from recent rain, I'm planning on giving it a month of just commuting and highway riding.

I'd also like to mention I'm proud of the fact that I didn't split one lane and gave all cars plenty of space. I guess it's not much of an accomplishment, but I hope to pick up some good habits this season. Riding around on a 4stroke 250 for too long and you get used to the fact that WOT means you're struggling to get to 100.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will come back to you. Just give it a few rides & a little time. Just focus on your technique & fundamentals, & safety.

Seems newer riders tend to lean too much w/ their hands on the bars, ie. they prop themselves up w/ their arms, causing their hands to get numb/fall asleep. Try to use your torso/core strength to hold up your body. Your hands/arms will thank you.

Happy riding!

Old 02-28-2010, 03:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, here's a scenario that came up today.

I'm riding along the highway and there's a bit of a wet spot around a turn. Outside temperature is around 40 or so, but my tires have been warmed up from a good 20-30 minute ride. I'll admit it, I had a recent high side because my rear end spun out on me over a slick spot at a low speed and seeing this damp speed made me panic. Is there any cause for concern or can maintenance throttle get me through the damp spot without worry?