Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Concealed carry works

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Concealed carry works

The question Jules originally posed: "I see that that works in this case and I know and understand and respect you guys opinions on your guns etc.. But how does that translate to the UK??" is easily answered. It doesn't. The UK is a different society with a far different history and attitude toward firearms and self-protection than is the United States. In the U.S. a good percentage of the population has grown up with firearms and are familiar with their use. We also have grown up with a tradition of independence and taking care of ourselves. I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that very few in the UK have grown up with firearms in their homes or are familiar with their use. And, like most European countries, they have a centuries old tradition of looking to their government to protect them.

Given those differences it is doubtful that a U.S. type of firearm society would work well in the UK. Its population in general would not allow it.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: DRam

The question Jules originally posed: "I see that that works in this case and I know and understand and respect you guys opinions on your guns etc.. But how does that translate to the UK??" is easily answered. It doesn't. The UK is a different society with a far different history and attitude toward firearms and self-protection than is the United States. In the U.S. a good percentage of the population has grown up with firearms and are familiar with their use. We also have grown up with a tradition of independence and taking care of ourselves. I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that very few in the UK have grown up with firearms in their homes or are familiar with their use. And, like most European countries, they have a centuries old tradition of looking to their government to protect them.

Given those differences it is doubtful that a U.S. type of firearm society would work well in the UK. Its population in general would not allow it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you ..someone who "gets" me ..I am not anti gun, I dont liek them but am not anti ..I just wondered all along about how it would go down in THE UK ...we are not used to it here ..if we see a gun, its like woah ..ZOMG a gun, yes I shot a 45 when younger because a friend was a member of a gun club here when legal to do so ..but the majority of us find guns alien and scary, we just do!! ..it works for you guys over the pond and has done in a while, its different here ..call it gut instinct or what have you ..for the UK to suddenly legalise guns now could be a very bad thing "in my opinion" ..but what do I know

Jules

Old 12-19-2008, 05:54 PM

I have no problem respecting peoples opinions as long as they have no problem respecting my rights.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch this video. - what the Second Amendment is all about.

I've been toting for over 30 years, so I'm biased...

Old 12-19-2008, 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Juliet

ORIGINAL: DRam

Thank you, thank you, thank you ..someone who "gets" me ..I am not anti gun, I dont liek them but am not anti ..I just wondered all along about how it would go down in THE UK ...we are not used to it here ..if we see a gun, its like woah ..ZOMG a gun, yes I shot a 45 when younger because a friend was a member of a gun club here when legal to do so ..but the majority of us find guns alien and scary, we just do!! ..it works for you guys over the pond and has done in a while, its different here ..call it gut instinct or what have you ..for the UK to suddenly legalise guns now could be a very bad thing "in my opinion" ..but what do I know

Jules
i agree with dram but was kinda shying away from the conversation becuase of another thread. i think it has alot more to do with different cultures and history then any thing. i think you have a great attitude on the whole situation as well jules. do you guys do a lot of hunting in the uk?

i also think taking one or two cases and saying look carrying a concealed weapon is a good thing it curbs crime. this case could have turn out just as bad if he was shot by the would be robbers. im not not against guns my self i down own any but i also dont belive in forcing other into my own personal beliefs.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: randyjoy

Watch this video. - what the Second Amendment is all about.

I've been toting for over 30 years, so I'm biased...
i watched only bits and pieces of the video sorry. and im all for the second amendment

but the true intention of the second amendment was so that if the government ever step out side of its bounds it was the right and the duty of the people to over throw the government. the idea was that guns were are protection from are government and are protection of are rights.

at least in a very basic form. there is more to it then that.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:38 PM

If you are so against what we're calmly talking about them please read a different thread. No one is trying to change your mind, don't try to change ours.

Quick Reply: Concealed carry works