Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Came dang near crashing bad!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Came dang near crashing bad!

I had a pretty interesting ride to work on Friday morning. I had promised the Citroen to my wife for Friday so she could go to my sister´s with it, I can`t drive it anyways cause the driving position hurts my right knee, so I`m trying to ride the bike as much as I can till I can afford a new car to replace the Volvo that`s currently collecting bird s**t in my moms yard. The first thing I noticed after I had shut the alarm in the morning was a steady rattle from the roof, I trudged into the office to get some threads on and looked out of the window: Fff...It`s raining...hard... But a promise is a promise, and I have a complete set of new gear so I thought it was time to test the water proofing of them. So off I went, wearing a set of thermal underwear under the driving gear. I got the visor of my helmet pretty foggy when I rode through the town, and was trying to get it to clear up when I hit the highway speed limit after the town center, so I missed a frost pothole on the center of the road and drove into the tar stripe covering it´s left bank losing control of my front wheel for a second or so, trying instinctively to steer to the left. The front wheel took grip again in the worst possible moment when it was turned almost completely sideways and came dang near to throw me off the saddle, but after a few pretty violent wobbles I regained the control of the bike. I took a few seconds to steady my breath, and throttled back to 50mph my heart still beating at approx 200bpm. I managed to drive about 300 yards forward when a badger jumped onto the road approx 55 yds ahead of me. I veered to the right side of the road to evade the animal, but after it had crossed the center line the dumb f**k turned back around!!! It was still raining hard so I couldn`t dare to make any steep maneuvers, and I was on a straight crash course plowing right into the animal. That propably was one of the most horrid two seconds I have ever had to encounter, the only thing I could think is this is going to hurt really bad, and there`s nothing I can do to avoid it. Something in my brain said to me that if I don`t try something, all hell`s gonna break loose, and I`m going to get hurt anyway so what does it matter why I crash, so I took one last desperate effort to bank the bike left as much as I bloody dared. I haven`t yet checked is there any **** hair from the badger in the exhaust manifold, but it went zoom right under my right foot peg! After a mile or so when my heart rate was coming down to two digits I wondered why my arms hurt until I realized I was gripping the bars with a force that could easily crush a beer can! The first thing that came into my mind was that lucky I listened to vfrman and Yumi and bought myself a good pair of pretty expensive armored pants to go with my new jacket, they came dang near to do their job...

Today I went to the crocery store while I was going to my moms to wash my bike, and since it was really warm I just throwed my helmet on and went off, and I must say I felt totally naked, almost like driving my car without any doors... Earlier I could do some short trips without my gear, now it just feels totally stupid, like I would have gone without my helmet or something...

Another day, another gift... anyone that reads this, BUY GOOD GEAR AND WEAR IT!!! The accident always happens when you`re not...

Last edited by Mattson; 04-29-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Wow, what a day! Sounds like a movie skit. Where was the piano falling, painters, and fruit carts?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hehe, I was actually watching an episode of Mythbusters while writing this, where they were, among other things, plowing a car through a fruit stand. The title of the episode was Demolition derby special or something similiar to that...

Old 04-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn! That sounds crazy indeed.

I feel so special that someone listened to me! I am going to show this to my wife...

LOL.

Good to hear you made it to ride another day!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazyness indeed.

Those are the kind of days I turn around and go home. Someones clearly trying to tell me something.