Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Why are these guys crashing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are these guys crashing?

YouTube - CBR1000 Lowside Crash

YouTube - R6 Highside Motorcycle Crash - Mulholland Highway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx2J4...el_video_title

YouTube - GSXR Lowside Crash on Mulholland - 6/6/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlMbF...feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkalH...feature=relmfu

Some of these guys are clearly leaning too far and eating dirt, but some are well into a perfectly (okay not perfect obviously, but no glaring mistakes into entry and their lines) executed turn and their back tire kicks out...why? Is it cuz they are giving a burst of throttle? seating position?

The last video boggles me.

Last edited by jpanside@gmail.com; 04-23-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, this is an easy one. But go through all the video again and look for the telltale sign. Split second before the wreck in all the videos is the rear tire trying to break free and out run the front tire. You can always see in all the videos the rear tire start sliding to the outside of the turn, then grab the pavement and toss the rider. You want the answer why this happened and it is an easy one.

Answer: Tires are cold and not warm enough to grip and hold traction through the turn.

You can see all the spectators standing at the corner. Which means the riders probabley didn't go too far to properly warm their tires and tried showing off causing them to wreck.

Last edited by underground-mpyre; 04-23-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre
Ok, this is an easy one. But go through all the video again and look for the telltale sign. Split second before the wreck in all the videos is the rear tire trying to break free and out run the front tire. You can always see in all the videos the rear tire start sliding to the outside of the turn, then grab the pavement and toss the rider. You want the answer why this happened and it is an easy one.

Answer: Tires are cold and not warm enough to grip and hold traction through the turn.

You can see all the spectators standing at the corner. Which means the riders probabley didn't go too far to properly warm their tires and tried showing off causing them to wreck.

I am just a newb when it comes to riding, but that was my first thought. Tires not warmed enough, and that little bit of getting on the throttle in the apex. The last guy seemed (to me anyway) to have a foot peg grab and lost his traction.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre

thanks for this. even though i have been riding for awhile now, I did not imagine that cold and warm tires could make such a difference. so there was nothing else wrong with how they rode? warm tires would have easily fixed this?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Odd, just looks like the rear tires slide out.

but ah WEAR you gear huh! that first guy is lucky! he was going head first into the rail

Old 04-23-2011, 12:54 PM

The guy on the gsxr in the fourth vid felt the rear break loose. He had probably been able to save it but he panicked and grabbed a handful of front brake.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
The guy on the gsxr in the fourth vid felt the rear break loose. He had probably been able to save it but he panicked and grabbed a handful of front brake.
what are you supposed to do in this case? grab clutch and let go of throttle?

Old 04-23-2011, 01:36 PM

another big contributing factor is that rockstorephotos.com sets up at that turn, and a lot of spectators stop by and they're all at this turn. So, a lot of riders want to get a good shot, and/or show off, and/or get real nervous with all the people there. There are harder turns at this location than this turn, but this one has a lot of space for photographers to set up. I've been there myself, but not on my bike. Too dangerous, IMO. It's by agoura hills canyon, CA.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ocarlos5
another big contributing factor is that rockstorephotos.com sets up at that turn, and a lot of spectators stop by and they're all at this turn. So, a lot of riders want to get a good shot, and/or show off, and/or get real nervous with all the people there. There are harder turns at this location than this turn, but this one has a lot of space for photographers to set up. I've been there myself, but not on my bike. Too dangerous, IMO. It's by agoura hills canyon, CA.

very correct!

Old 04-23-2011, 02:48 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Okay... yes cold tires are prob one factor
But to me, the clear answer is speed.

The speed limit for that turn is probably around 25mph. (idk)

They are at least going 10 over w.e the limit is imo

Quick Reply: Why are these guys crashing?