Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Applied for firearm permit today

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011 | 11:56 PM

i live in bucks county pa. minutes from philadelphia. i walked into my district court house and into the sheriffs office. paid 46 bucks cash. instant background check. took a picture and i had my "Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms" license in my hand.

as far as i know, anywhere in Pa you can own a license. It is issued to you by that county that you live in's sheriff or chief of police. Each county will determine the length of time and the cost.

and last time i checked the "open carry" policy in Pa is depending on the type of weapon and property inwhich you are on. you can not, under any circumstances, carry a weapon into a federal building, court house, post office, school or any building that has a sign clearly posted stating "No weapons" or "No guns". Period. you can not carry a handgun "openly" on public property. Period. Rifles and shotguns only for transportation/hunting etc.

now this not needing a license to carry in pittsburgh is new to me and has me interested to re read the 100 page booklet i was given upon receiving my license. im not going to call bull on it bc i dont know 100% if thats correct or incorrect but i would really like to know for fact now.

and ive been shooting rifles shotguns and handguns of all shapes and sizes since i was 6yrs old. ive had gun safety beatin into me so much by my father. he a firearms instructor for the state of NJ and trains at the state police academy and also on Fort Dix. i highly advise the OP to take a firearms safety course before purchasing any weapon. and take it completely apart and learn the in's and out's of any weapon you own.

:::EDIT:::

In the State of Pennsylvania you MUST have a "License to Carry a Firearm" to carry a concealed firearm throughout the entire state. Philadelphia has no Open Carry law. you DO NOT need the license to carry open in the rest of the state. but i guarentee you that you will run into complications.

Last edited by dohcdelsol; 06-23-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-23-2011 | 04:30 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Thought Pittsburgh was also considered a First Class City. Philly is the only one now?

Pretty sure the long wait in Philly is intentional red tape to slow issuing permits. I doubt seriously they do anything with the application beyond filing it after you drop it off. I served as references for 2 different people and they never contacted me.
Philly is the only city in PA considered a "city of the First Class".

Originally Posted by dohcdelsol
i live in bucks county pa. minutes from philadelphia. i walked into my district court house and into the sheriffs office. paid 46 bucks cash. instant background check. took a picture and i had my "Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms" license in my hand.

as far as i know, anywhere in Pa you can own a license. It is issued to you by that county that you live in's sheriff or chief of police. Each county will determine the length of time and the cost.

and last time i checked the "open carry" policy in Pa is depending on the type of weapon and property inwhich you are on. you can not, under any circumstances, carry a weapon into a federal building, court house, post office, school or any building that has a sign clearly posted stating "No weapons" or "No guns". Period. you can not carry a handgun "openly" on public property. Period. Rifles and shotguns only for transportation/hunting etc.

Open Carry is legal in PA. Other than federal building/court house/post office you can "carry" concealed or otherwise anywhere else, even school property. The school thing says "any lawful purpose" and with the LTCF, that is considered a "lawful purpose". I usually open carry and other than the federal building/P.O/court house, I usually carry every where else I go. You can openly carry on public property. There is no law against open carry in PA, so by default, you can openly carry just about anywhere, other than the few places mentioned.

A lot of what the sheriff tells you is there own opinion and not the law. They tell you that with your LTCF, that you must carry concealed, which is bullsh*t.

now this not needing a license to carry in pittsburgh is new to me and has me interested to re read the 100 page booklet i was given upon receiving my license. im not going to call bull on it bc i dont know 100% if thats correct or incorrect but i would really like to know for fact now.

and ive been shooting rifles shotguns and handguns of all shapes and sizes since i was 6yrs old. ive had gun safety beatin into me so much by my father. he a firearms instructor for the state of NJ and trains at the state police academy and also on Fort Dix. i highly advise the OP to take a firearms safety course before purchasing any weapon. and take it completely apart and learn the in's and out's of any weapon you own.

:::EDIT:::

In the State of Pennsylvania you MUST have a "License to Carry a Firearm" to carry a concealed firearm throughout the entire state. Philadelphia has no Open Carry law. you DO NOT need the license to carry open in the rest of the state. but i guarentee you that you will run into complications.

You can in fact Open Carry in Philly, but you are required to have the LTCF to do it. And as far as your guarantee, like I stated earlier, I open carry on a regular basis (and know plenty of people that do also), and I have never had a problem or complication, other than once while riding my bike with an a**hole cop. In 6 years that I have been carrying, 4 have been openly for the most part.

Old 06-23-2011 | 05:00 PM

nepa jim

yeah i dug into it a little more last night and today. i didnt know about the open carry law so i did a quick edit. you also mentioned that youre a corrections officer? i think thats what i read. i asked a few officers today and they said that if they saw someone with a gun that they are guna start asking questions and checking the serial numbers etc.

and to carry openly in a car you need the LTCF. if i understood what i read. the law seams to be backwards to me.

Old 06-23-2011 | 05:17 PM

Same thing In Harrisburg, i believe. I'm originally from York. go through Philly a few times a year if i can get to the Eagles games during leave. have not applied for PA's CCW yet, but plan on getting it next time i'm home.

Old 06-23-2011 | 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by dohcdelsol
nepa jim

yeah i dug into it a little more last night and today. i didnt know about the open carry law so i did a quick edit. you also mentioned that youre a corrections officer? i think thats what i read. i asked a few officers today and they said that if they saw someone with a gun that they are guna start asking questions and checking the serial numbers etc.

and to carry openly in a car you need the LTCF. if i understood what i read. the law seams to be backwards to me.
I was a corrections officer, yes. The officers you spoke to today are going to illegally stop and start asking you questions then. The mere fact that you are carrying a gun is NOT a reason to stop and detain you or ask questions and "check" serial numbers. They will actually be violating your civil rights. They all just had a new training in the last 2 years about this. Unless they believe you have, or are about to, commit a crime, they are not allowed to stop you and question you just due to you being in possession of a firearm. Carry is not a reasonable suspicion to stop and question you about it.

There is a guy from Philly, Mark Fiorino, that was stopped and arrested for openly carrying, and his is currently in the process of suing the city over his civil rights, and a few other things due to the PPD acting above their capacity.

This is an article about the situation.

Unfamiliarity With The Law Causes Problem For Citizen - Roxborough-Manayunk, PA Patch

Also to carry in a vehicle period, you need to have your LTCF. Because even though you may be carrying openly in the vehicle, it is still considered concealed.

Old 06-23-2011 | 07:37 PM

Sorry for the hijack, Yumi.

Go for you handgun permit, learn how to use it, get familiar with it, put it in your nightstand and hope you never need to use it. Or if you are willing to carry, carry it!! My wife has her permit here in PA, just have to get her a firearm now!! lol

Gun safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best of luck in what ever you choose. Stay safe!!

Old 06-23-2011 | 09:41 PM
Administrator - Retired

Yumi's got a gun
Her whole world's come undone
From lookin' straight at the sun
What did Natediesel do?
What did he put you through?