Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Applied for firearm permit today

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Applied for firearm permit today

$19.25, that's what it costs and 14 days waiting period to check criminal and medical record. Didn't even know they had different classification for rifle and handgun. I applied for rifle. I don't think I will buy one though. My neighbor is getting one, so we can go to shooting range and maybe I can borrow his. Scared to keep one in the house

Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a course at the gun range. They usually have an intro class. The range where I got my .380 gave a free basics with every gun purchase. Sorta like the BRC for gun ownership: proper storage, cleaning, operation and some live firing.

Helps ease new gun owners same as the BRC does new riders. Education dispels irrational fears.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM

Sorry, don't take this to be aimed at you Yum, but I think that is a totally backwards and stupid way to run a gun permit program! They should require you to do a course and actually USE a gun and become familiar/comfortable with one BEFORE you are allowed to own/carry one.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by F34Me?
Sorry, don't take this to be aimed at you Yum, but I think that is a totally backwards and stupid way to run a gun permit program! They should require you to do a course and actually USE a gun and become familiar/comfortable with one BEFORE you are allowed to own/carry one.
Does Wisconsin require a course to purchase a firearm? I think Maryland requires a course just to purchase a firearm. But I think that course is online.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 PM

Well, the laws are in the process of changing. If the Republicans get their way, I am taking the first plane out of here... lol

Currently yes, you do need a permit. But that can be as easy as taking a "hunters safety" course. Which consists of a couple hours of lecture in a classrom.

I am all for GOOD gun laws, in fact I would carry one myself if I could do so by law. It just scares me that some people in power here want to put guns in candy claw machines and allow people to carry them into places like bars, where getting drunk and fighting is expected, or government buildings with no restrictions or proper training.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like PA just the way it is. Pay your $20 and you can carry a handgun concealed. All you need to do is pass the background check and you get your permit in 3days. It's good for 5yrs.

If you want to buy a rifle from a store, you get an instant background check on federal regs.... but if you if you wanna buy from your neighbor you just need to be 18. We don't track stuff. I can walk down the street and buy an AR15 with cash from anybody.... legally. (as long as I'm allowed to own. The seller is not responsible)
Just the way it should be, imo.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Sorry, don't take this to be aimed at you Yum
Not at all. I am not the one that makes the law and I am just going along with what our state required.

There is a security arm shop on next street from me. and I think they have the shooting room. I will ask them if they have training.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:52 PM

Good idea Yum, if you are smart about it, it can be a really fun sport/hobby! Just remember to treat the gun with respect and to keep safety foremost in your mind. Just like riding the RR!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I like PA just the way it is. Pay your $20 and you can carry a handgun concealed. All you need to do is pass the background check and you get your permit in 3days. It's good for 5yrs.
Lol yeah anywhere but Philadelphia. CCW takes a couple months to process here. And they wonder why so many people have the "Judged by 12 than carried by 6" mentality

Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Good idea Yum, if you are smart about it, it can be a really fun sport/hobby! Just remember to treat the gun with respect and to keep safety foremost in your mind. Just like riding the RR!
"responsibility" was the reason why I did not finish the hunting class few years ago. I got scared watching their video!!

Quick Reply: Applied for firearm permit today