Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anyone Well Versed in Window Tinting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Well Versed in Window Tinting?

So I got my windows tinted on saturday because our son keeps getting the sun in his face...
wife didn't want me to use any of mysuggestions:
1. the bed sheet to put over the backseat head rests (ghetto)...
2. get 5 of those window shade sucker things (less ghetto)...
3. put that long visor that ladies of a certain ethnicity wear when driving on my son...i said that's hardcore...she said NOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

well...the dude said the milkiness and bubbles should go away in 5-10 days...well...it was bad a day 1, day 2 milkiness gone, day 3 bubbles disappeared a bit...then less and less, etc...

well...there are still some left...and i know he said 5-10 days...but i'm getting worried now...
anyone know anything about this who can rest my soul until at least day 10...when i will know i have to go back?

Old 06-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Well Versed in Window Tinting?

There should be NO milky or bubbles as he should have brushed them all out. I hope he at least told you not to use the windows for 24 hours.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:27 PM
VP

did you ever roll the windows down during this 5-10 day period? If for some reason the window went down down you'll have to get it retinted... I would just tell em it never went away if it does cuz they can probably reuse the same tint since its so new... BTW do you know what brand tint they used? It should've came with a warantee no matter what so they'll fix it for you whenver there's a problem.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:03 PM

it will be hazy for a few days. i tinted my windows myself, didnt have the best cuts along the edge, but none were visible and mine was milky when i finished. it went away a few days later. never had any bubbles either.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:20 PM

it's solar-guard tint...titanium film.

no i haven't rolled down the windows...i'm keeping that sticker over the window controls for at least 10 days.

hopefully it looks better when i go down to see it at lunch.

it's not really bubbles, but looks like it...i'm keeping my fingers crossed still...

t

Old 06-07-2007, 02:31 PM

a lot of times dirt gets under the tint and thats wut the little specs are i used to install tint and they should have scrubbed the windows then completely dried them and then start to apply the tint with water and some tint aide then use a heat gun and squeege and work every little inperfection out it will be a little milky but no bubble for the most park and after 10 days you will have a nice tint job that should last as long as the car if takin care of properly DONT USE WINDEX!!!! or anything else with amonia in it turns the tint purple u can use alchol based window cleaner or straight water work great!

Old 06-07-2007, 02:39 PM

ok....i feel better now...but this waiting thing is horrible...i will wait 10 days...

Old 06-09-2007, 05:59 AM

Did you get it done professionally or just by some guy that "knew" how to do it? Like rrasco said, it'll be hazy for a few days and there could be little bubbles for a month or so but they should eventually die down, and, like someone else said, if you/your wife/whoever rolled your windows down, even just a little bit within 72 hours of the tint first being applied then you have to retint that whole window again because the tint wouldn't have "settled" yet which would cause it to "squish" around a lil which would cause more lil bubbles/haze/etc...oh, and don't clean the tint with paper towels, either use a squeegee or special cloths made just for tint and cleaner thats safe for tint, or just a lil soap n water.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:31 AM

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

If the bubbles have solution in them, They will dissipate.

Differnet types of window film can take longer than others to fully cure out.

Dyed films can cure out in a couple hours, Hybrid Metal films can take a day or a week depending on the amount of sunshine the glass gets, Metal films can take 1 week to a month to fully cure out. How fast the solution cures out is depending on how hard the person mounting the film squeegeed the film initially.

I am a PROFESSIONAL TINTER for the last 18 years.

My advice would be to leave the vechile out in the direct sunlight. If you park it in a garage or shaded area this will make the film curing process take longer.

SO, The more radiant heat from the sun on the glass the better, thats how the film cures from the radiant hear dissipating the mounting solution from between the glass and tint. And like i say different type films can take longer to cure than others.

I would say oater 2 more weeks and they are still there just go to the shop that did it and have them look at it.

We use LLUMAR film herewhere i tint and on the warranty card is clearly states that newly tinted windows can take up to 30 days to fully cure out.

Basically what you seeing IS NORMAL. Although i cant say for sure since i dont have anything to go by other than what your telling us.

Slow drying film can be contributed by...A Metallized film being installed, Tinter not squeeging hard enough on the film during installation, Not enough radiant heat on the glass. I wouldnt really worry about it. I have seen film take a couple months to fully cure.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: KingMushroom

There should be NO milky or bubbles as he should have brushed them all out. I hope he at least told you not to use the windows for 24 hours.
+1, got limo tint and everything was perfect. no milkyness or bubbles, just couldnt roll down the windows for a couple days and its still perfect