New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

First Wreck =/

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Wreck =/

This takes places in Orlando FL, near UCF.

As some of you know, I recently purchased an 05 F4i. It's been about two months and I guess my "luck" ran out.

Coming home from work (North on 417) I took the University exit and was the right most lane (Turning right on Uni). There are a total of three lanes. There were two cars in front of me.

As we approached University, the car in the lead jerked out of the right lane and into the middle lane (right where the median or island is), so the car in front of me just continues on his way and I follow. Just as the car immediately ahead of me passes, the original first car swung back into my lane. I hit the brakes right away and my back tire gives.

I'm not too sure of the exact transcript of the following events, but I am pretty sure I went head first into the road as my bike slid away from me. Thank God I was riding geared up. Of course, the car didn't even brake, and just gunned it down University.

There was a SUV behind be with two girls who asked if I was alright. Which I was, just minor cuts on the wrist and knee. Everyone else for the next 15 minutes just passed by without a care.

Luckily, a guy on a street dirt bike named Dave stopped as he was crossing the intersection and helped me gain my bearings and get my bike running again.

Only damage to the bike was a minor rash and a broken shift lever and front peg. As well was my helmet is pretty much totaled.

I cannot express in words how angry I am at the driver that cut me off, but knowing that I will never find him I must let it go.

So, just a friendly reminder, always ride geared up.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that, bud.

I'm glad you only walked away with minor damage.

I hit the brakes right away and my back tire gives.
So you're saying you jammed the rear brake?
If so, I would try and get used to using the front brake only. If you're using your rear all the time, you're gonna have more trouble down the road. The weight of the bike is shifting forward, and taking weight off the rear and allowing it to lose traction. Jamming on the rear is a bad idea.

So, just a friendly reminder, always ride geared up.
Amen. Wise words right there.
It amazes me that so many people decide to roll the dice on this one. Bad idea to not wear gear.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:05 AM

I'm fairly certain that I used only the front but a cross between unlevel ground and momentum caused my rear tire to go. But i'm not exactly sure what happened..

Old 08-22-2009, 10:17 AM

The good thing is you survived. Although I have seriously loved every bike I've ever owned - I wouldn't trade any of them for someones life.

A new/used bike you can get - Glad you're ok

Old 08-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad your relatively ok. Bikes can be fixed

Old 08-23-2009, 10:03 AM

Remember, there are two types of riders. The ones that have been down and the ones that will be down. On top of that, having been down won't keep you from going down again.

Welcome to the club. Glade to hear you were wearing proper gear.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:50 PM

Sorry to hear that. Good that you are in a good shape and didn't brake anything. As it was already said, the bikes can be fixed.

Everyone else for the next 15 minutes just passed by without a care.
I feel you on this part. I've gone down as well...

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the rear brakes on our bikes provide only 5-7% of stopping power and when you do use them, then you have to slide back to prevent rear wheel from lifting up and provide more traction. I guess it's TMI at the moment and you never have enough time to think of all aspects when something crazy happens.

And once again, I'm glad you are totally fine.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:06 PM

I feel you bro, just be glad that you´re ok. The bike doesn´t seem to be that bad and it´s only money right?
It´s all a numbers game and I´m not saying that you should´ve been "smarter" in that situation but with time you´ll get better at evaluating possible situations and, hopefully, avoid another spill.

As someone said, we´re almost invisible to most drivers who are to concentrated in something else other that driving so always expect the unexpected.

Ride safe bro