CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Wreck =/

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wreck =/

ok so last night i was riding around and had no issues outta the bike what so ever.... after about an hour and 1/2 of riding when ever i was slowing down seemed like the bike was slowing down faster than normal... =/ luckily i was on a smaller road where there were no cars on the way home and going about 55ish i came around a corner where a car was stopping... i went to stop and noticed i had no brakes... there was a car coming down the other lane, i shifted to 1st gear but was going too fast so i ended up just laying the bike over.. (i had full gear on, jacket, helmet, gloves, and thick jeans) the cage probably saved my life i just held onto the bike and the cage kept me from hitting the ground... didn't hit anyone or anything bike stopped i got up picked it up and pushed it to a small store on the side of the road and went to look at why i had no brakes... the entire back brake was dangling there, and the holes that were holding the brake unit was pretty much melted off.. I dunno if the brakes locked up and got stuck and then broke off the bracket but it's melted off i'll get some pictures later...

is there a way to fix the bracket that holds the rear brake on or am i looking at buying a new rim? I'm kinda sure i probably warped that roter because it was about 66 deg out a lil cooler and it had to have heated it up to break it off... anyways let me know your imputs, i'll get some pictures up here in a lil bit.. just a lil sore lol

Old 09-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Old 09-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Default RE: Wreck =/

Man thats crazy! So what happened to the front brakes though? I mean why couldn't you use them to stop?

Old 09-29-2007, 01:35 PM

My hunch isthe bolts came loose and as it was hanging down, itchewed up the rotor bolts and at the same time ripped off the caliper carrier from the bolts. Who did your brakes last? Do the 900s have linked brake systems? I can't see how losing the rear only would keep you from stopping pretty swiftly with only the fronts.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:43 PM

I'm gonna guess that even though stoppies are fun, landing hard on the rear end causes a lot of grief to poor little caliper bracket bolts. There are only two that hold the whole setup to the swingarm and it sounds like at least one bolt was sheared off. Do you see any bolts with no head still screwed in? If not then I would say that the bracket wasn't seated into the little groove on the inside of the swingarm. Either way I'm guessing that the bracket was forced against the rotating wheel/brake disc and acted as a brake.
the bike was slowing down faster than normal...
Since the wheel's axle runs through the bracket, the whole thing couldn't really go anywhere and the iron brake disk melted the aluminum bracket until it snapped. Scary! Check out the wheel and the swingarm (there may be excessive play in the swingarm pivot bolt) for damage and tighten everything else. Try this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...9770QQtcZphoto

And this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-199...mZ260101426313

Old 09-29-2007, 03:30 PM

i lost both front and rear brakes but when i rode it home front brakes were working =/ i dunno if air got in the lines or what but i'm confused does the roter hold thecaliper bracket?

Old 09-29-2007, 04:14 PM

No, sorry. The caliper is bolted only to the bracket and the bracket is held in place by the axle and by slotting into a groove on the inside of the swingarm. The bracket itself isn't bolted to anything, so if the front part of it was not in its groove then it would be able to move around much more than it should.

The bracket is on the left. The hole on the bottom left of the bracket is where the axle goes. The rectangle thing on the bracket is what slides into the groove on your swingarm. When changing the wheel out, it's very easy to not get that part into its place.

Do you see the groove on the inside of the swingarm? That's where the front part of the bracket sits. There's no screws or anything, it just holds the bracket in place.

Front and rear brakes are not linked. Get all your brake lines replaced with braided steel lines and have them professionally bleeded with new brake fluid. Have them check your front rotors and pads too!

Glad you're okay and had your gear on. Stay safe!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:40 PM

yeah i pulled some muscles in my shoulder got a stupid sling for a week or so but other than that and a lil road rash on my right leg i'm fine