How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A usb port only puts out 0.5-1A? So how many amps does this mod put out? I also have an Iphone and want to get a better Idea of what I am looking for in parts.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:57 PM

The IEEE USB spec is for up to 1A. We're not following spec here, we're just using the port type. You can buy a different regulator that outputs the amperage you're looking for.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Default Oh no!!

My phone broke yesterday and i have a replacement phone3 now... of coarse the usb charger doesnt work... so now i have to figure out some sort of upgrade to get it to work... so should i just get like a 6v regulator or what?

i have a blackberry 8530 and it uses a micro usb..

Old 04-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michaud85
My phone broke yesterday and i have a replacement phone3 now... of coarse the usb charger doesnt work... so now i have to figure out some sort of upgrade to get it to work... so should i just get like a 6v regulator or what?

i have a blackberry 8530 and it uses a micro usb..

No get a USB to micro USB cable.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 PM

No, you need a regulator that can handle the higher draw.

Mariof: I can't see where TI has a linear regulator that can go from 12v to 5v and output more than 800mA. We're shooting for 1A+ here. Anyone else?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 AM

ok so i just bought a dual port usb car charger from walgreens for 10 bucks... and just solderd the positive to the positive and the ground to the ground, taped it and insulated it, ziptied it to my bike and vioala she charges perfectly..

just make sure you test it and make sure it charges you phone in ur car first , then it will def do it for your bike

Old 04-05-2010, 10:13 AM

ok so i just bought a dual port usb car charger from walgreens for 10 bucks... and just solderd the positive to the positive and the ground to the ground, taped it and insulated it, ziptied it to my bike and vioala she charges perfectly..

just make sure you test it and make sure it charges you phone in ur car first , then it will def do it for your bike

The problem is those $10 ones suck for charging high-draw phones. That's the problem we're currently trying to solve.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:56 PM

I'm sorry I never checked, i just put up a site where I've bought some IC's from. well i searched digikey and they definitely have a few.

digikey.com

part search - voltage regulators
next
go under integrated circuits (ICs)- Voltage Regulators - Linear (30,816 items)
next
limit the filters to 1.5 Amps output current and 5 volts output voltage
next
view page

and a list of regulators with the power requirements you need are there

Old 04-06-2010, 12:00 AM

heres how you should wire it

you may need to cut a slice, a small hole or abrade the metal at the terminals to get the solder to hold well use a dremel tool or similar to do this but be careful. wrap it all up generously with electrical tape, and zip tie it somewhere convenient for you... zipties can be easily cut off and removed so dont tape it somewhere on ur bike.
hope this help people because i found this to be much easier than the original way

PS if you want to cut open the apparatus and just solder the two wires that connect to the termials to the wires inside that connect to the terminals so its a smaller finished product then that can be done too just be careful cutting it open.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...n=push-product

thats the one i have and it works fine for my new blackberry 8530 and the old 5 volt regulator did not, so this must draw more current than the 5v regulator

Last edited by Michaud85; 04-08-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:16 PM

Hey guys,
What did you use as your 12V power source? I'd like to try this to charge my cell phone & GPS.

I'd prefer not to wire it up to the battery directly.

So.. what did you use as your 12v source and also what did you use as your ground?

Thanks

P.S....i own an F3

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!