How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why couldn't you just make your own cable? Like the usb male on one end, and the round style plug that goes into my gps. I'm sure you could do it, Ive been trying to think of a way to mount my gps to the 600rr for a while now. I'm just worried about it coming off.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by bradseabridge
why couldn't you just make your own cable? Like the usb male on one end, and the round style plug that goes into my gps.
That's what I just said:

Originally Posted by johnnyx
If you have a device that does 5v for charging, but not via USB, you'd have to mock-up an adapter.

Ive been trying to think of a way to mount my gps to the 600rr for a while now. I'm just worried about it coming off.
They make universal GPS mounts for motorcycles. I've seen people mount them to the windshield just liek a car and not have an issue. Personally, I have the Icon Urban tank bag with the clear window in the top, and I throw my GPS in there.

http://www.techmounts.com/

Last edited by johnnyx; 04-22-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by hypoxvi
what size fuse did you use?
3A fast-blow. Anything 10A or below is fine.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
That's what I just said:

They make universal GPS mounts for motorcycles. I've seen people mount them to the windshield just liek a car and not have an issue. Personally, I have the Icon Urban tank bag with the clear window in the top, and I throw my GPS in there.

http://www.google.com/products?q=mot...N&hl=en&tab=wf
I have seen those, how well do you like it? it would be really handy on long trips and stuff. I just noticed it's magnetic, that wont work on my rr =(

Last edited by bradseabridge; 07-09-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kewl write up, this maybe my next mod lol.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:15 AM

I have seen those, how well do you like it? it would be really handy on long trips and stuff. I just noticed it's magnetic, that wont work on my rr =(

If I may be blunt: I ****ING LOVE IT.

If you're taking a long trip, you put your clothes on top on the inside, and you can just lay against it, and it's like riding an engine-powered pillow. I also picked up a removable lambskin seat cover like all the cruiser guys have, and that was an immense help.

I've never tried that non-magnetic bags, so I don't know how those would be. Seems like they would slip around a lot. This magnetic one doesn't budge a milimeter, even above 100mph. It's GREAT. Elfling turned me on to it, over at Kneedraggers.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:30 PM

Thought I'd add a little side-note here. You can also wire this into your car using the exact same method. It's great for freeing up your cigarette lighter form using one of those phone chargers. You can also wire up a bunch of ports in series or parallel after the regulator so you can have multiple devices charging at the same time. USB devices generally only suck up about 1/2 amp each, so you don't have to worry about blowing the fuse or regulator.

Last edited by johnnyx; 09-17-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Just bought all the parts now I have to wait till friday to put it all together. thanks for this write up.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM

Sweet. Post pics!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

This is going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have the same phone too. Great minds think alike...

Nice post.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!