How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!

Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. new here. this is my first post so here we go,

I installed a cigarette adapter on my '01 929. i used "Battery Tender" parts i ordered off amazon in order to wire it and also underglow with a switch i bought from radio shack and it works great. I also have a Lifeproof case and gopro mount holder for my iPhone so i can use my gps on my bike. I had to modify the mount a tiny bit in order to open the port to plug in my phone but it works great! I recommended knowing at least a little bit about wiring in order to set up the underglow. I couldn't have done this without the knowledge provided to me by my high school physics teacher. Here is a link to some of the parts,

Cigarette adapter,
Battery Tender 081-0069-8 Female Cigarette Adaptor for Quick Disconnect : Amazon.com : Automotive Battery Tender 081-0069-8 Female Cigarette Adaptor for Quick Disconnect : Amazon.com : Automotive

Battery Tender Harness,
Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Ring Terminal Harness with Black Fused 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug : Amazon.com : Automotive Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Ring Terminal Harness with Black Fused 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug : Amazon.com : Automotive

LifeProof case,
iPhoneProtective Case for iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S*|* |*LifeProof

LifeProof gopro mount,
iPhone 4 mount, Helmet Mount, GoPro Mount, Protective Case | LifeProof

LED strips for underglow,
Amazon.com: CITI RED 24 LED Strip NEON MOTORCYCLE / CAR / BOAT / HOME / POD LIGHT BRIGHT ACCENT GLOW 24LED FLEXIBLE WATER PROOF, Aquarium Light Under Water Proof Tank 12V: Home Improvement Amazon.com: CITI RED 24 LED Strip NEON MOTORCYCLE / CAR / BOAT / HOME / POD LIGHT BRIGHT ACCENT GLOW 24LED FLEXIBLE WATER PROOF, Aquarium Light Under Water Proof Tank 12V: Home Improvement

(not linked)
On/Off switch from radio shack,
4-way Quick Disconnect splitter,
gorilla glue,
extra wire,

Old 08-25-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
YES, you must wire it EXACTLY as I wrote up here.
Okay, just finished rewiring it exactly as you said... and now its not working lol... I'm gona have to buy a third regulator ain't I?
I dont get why its not working all my connections are good and solid, the fuse is good, I didn't wire it backwards, wires all good... bad reg?

edit: Got a new usb port works perfectly! thanks

Last edited by Zandaloo; 09-02-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Can anyone tell me which wire to tap into if I wanted the charger to only work when the key is on, just like a car? I already have a car charger and some basic wires, connectors and inline fuse kit. I'm thinking possibly the headlight system. Or what wire did you all use when you did it?

edit: also, if you gutted a car charger for its parts, how do the circuit boards do if they get wet?

Last edited by svek; 01-12-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:57 PM

That's perfectly fine. Anything that's only on when the bike is on, and runs off the 12v rail will work. You can just take a voltmeter to the fuses in the fuse box to find one that suits your needs, and just patch into it.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 AM

I just installed this on my 98 cbr 600 f3. I also have a Samsung galaxy S3. I have this directly wired into my battery with a 10 amp inline fuse. The phone says charging but isn't and the rectifier gets super hot. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by dad0507
I just installed this on my 98 cbr 600 f3. I also have a Samsung galaxy S3. I have this directly wired into my battery with a 10 amp inline fuse. The phone says charging but isn't and the rectifier gets super hot. Any ideas? Thanks!

Assuming you meant "regulator" ( I mess those up all the time), check your solder points to make sure you're not shorting two points together that you don't mean to. Also make sure none of your wires are being grounded to the bike, or other piece of metal, like the foil (unless that is your intention).

Make sure you have the right type of regulator: it should be able to handle 12v incoming (many can't) and output 1 - 1.5A (1000-1500mA). This latter part sounds like your problem. The S3 can suck up a decent amount of energy while turned on, and if you're not giving it at least 1A, there's an excellent chance you won't charge it, or the charging will be incredibly slow. It will report that it is charging because of the messed up way the OS assumes charging (it looks for 5V coming in on the USB port, and says "YAY!" instead of actually checking to make sure the amperage is there) Other phones, such as the iPhone, will actually report that power is connected, but the device is not charging.

The regulator SHOULD get hot, as that is exactly what it does: it takes any electrical energy over 5v and converts it to heat energy, which it then dissipates.

Finally, a 10A fuse is worthless, and you're effectively not protecting anything with it. It's WAY too big. Allowing 10A of 12v to hit anything after it will definitely fry stuff out. You want 1.5-2A. Yes, I acknowledge that i didn't use any fuse in my original build. That was my risk to take, as it is yours.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM

I purchased the exact regulator from radio Shack as you had posted. They also have a +12vdc regulator. The one I currently have is the +5vdc. There are no wires grounded and the solder points look good also. I aattached a pic to show you. Thanks for your help btw. I appreciate it greatly.

Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!-img_20130917_124241.jpg  

Last edited by dad0507; 09-17-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 09-22-2013, 03:11 PM

I found a similar regulator. The part number is Lm323t. Would this work? It's basically the same regulator as the one from radio shack but is a 3 amp output instead of 1.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running street fighter right now so no plastics to hide the wires or mount to, but I wired this one up just for the long haul we did for the end of season ride. Just a weatherproof cigarette socket (meant for ATVs/motorcycles) and wired using a relay and to the battery. The relay triggers when the ignition is on, but draws power for the lighter from the battery directly. Charges my iPhone 5 like a charm.

I know its not pretty, but this was just thrown together the night before a big ride. Will be done up alot better down the road sometime this winter.

Name:  null_zps613cb467.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  121.2 KB

Old 09-23-2013, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by dad0507
I have an Optimate battery charger with the leads permamently attached to the battery for ease of charging so I purchased the following -

OptiMate O-101 USB Charger

works for me and you can use it on any bike as long as you have the battery tails plumbed in.

John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!