How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!

Old 05-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I just used this guide on my 01 929RR, worked great. There was 1 modification that I made. I used a Dual port USB expansion slot piece (goes where a normal expansion card would go on a PC), then used my dremel and cut the metal off just past the 2 screws, that way the 2 ports were already mounted to somethine, the cover was a shiney silver (still is - but I may paint it black to match the plastice that it is attached to). That way I can keep my phone (for calls and/or music) and a GPS unit both powered as needed. Great project though!

KevinC

Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 AM

supper legit im doing this tomorrow

Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 AM

Anyone have a recommendation of where I can find an easily removable piece of the fairing that would also make a convenient location for my usb port...on an f4? Sure wish I had a nice fuse plate like that.

And to the OP: Great post, it inspired me to get back into messing around with electronics and wiring. I've been reading up somewhat on circuit building and theory, mostly out of curiosity and one question I have is how to determine what size fuse would be appropriate for a given circuit. Say I have a 10A fuse on a 12v circuit leading to a device that draws 60W/55W, like a standard headlight bulb. That would be a 5A current, so what's the highest-rated fuse I can use without endangering my circuit? I notice that Honda uses the same 10A fuses on circuits that only draw 2A of current. Seems like by the time a defective part begins to draw 5x its normal current, your wiring would already be shot, depending on the gauge of your wires.

I was considering the possibility that Honda used oversized wire to protect the circuitry from any potential overloads, but wouldn't that add resistance? And why not just use a different fuse? So I'm at a loss...

Old 07-05-2012, 09:34 AM

Larger wire creates less resistance iirc..
What gauge wire were you planning on using

On another not I got my regulor yesterday. Ima try and jack move some wiring from work today

Old 07-08-2012, 04:01 AM

Okay. Well I'm still trying to figure out how to determine what kind of fuse I should use depending on the amperage of a given circuit. It seems like something that will be helpful in the future.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:59 AM

I got it to work. But I couldn't find my sadering stuff so I'm trying to look for an alternative method.

I feel as if a 25amp fuse is more then enough.

And I noticed the regular got really hot

Old 07-14-2012, 10:35 AM

Nice

Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 PM

Quick question. I did this mod the other day (Thanks BTW) and my charger works perfectly. I wired it to the battery... the thing is I read this DIY over a week ago and consequently put the green wire from the usb (that I now know is a data wire, thought it was a ground) to the center pin on the regulator and grounded that with another wire to the frame. and I have the black wire from the USB going directly to the negative on the battery... Do I need to rewire the negative wire to the center prong of the regulator or am I ok?
Thanks!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zandaloo
Quick question. I did this mod the other day (Thanks BTW) and my charger works perfectly. I wired it to the battery... the thing is I read this DIY over a week ago and consequently put the green wire from the usb (that I now know is a data wire, thought it was a ground) to the center pin on the regulator and grounded that with another wire to the frame. and I have the black wire from the USB going directly to the negative on the battery... Do I need to rewire the negative wire to the center prong of the regulator or am I ok?
Thanks!

YES, you must wire it EXACTLY as I wrote up here.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:33 PM

I ran across the following product that would make part of this project easier for some who are not as versed with soldering. I am not affiliated with this site, nor have i purchased one of these (although if I get a new bike at some point I might get one for it).

Motorcycle USB Power Socket

Dual USB ports and weather proof cap (for when nothing is plugged in), just needs to be hopoked to the battery and then grounded.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!