How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchA
What exactly does Silver Side Down mean? I have everything ready to wire up but Im not really sure what this means. Does the lettering face down?
Your regulator should have a metal side to it for cooling purposes. Make sure this side is touching whatever you're mounting it to.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Your regulator should have a metal side to it for cooling purposes. Make sure this side is touching whatever you're mounting it to.
I asked the Radio Shack guy and this is also what he said.

I wired it up and it does in fact charge my "old" phone but the recifier get super hot pretty fast. Im going directly from the battery terminals and mounted the rectifier on a piece of sheetmetal with arctic silver and the sheetmetal gets super hot super fast also. Something not happy.

Silver side down: Pins pointing to the right.

Top pin to red usb cable

Middle pin to bike ground and usb cable grnd.

Bottom to 12v hot (direct to batt)

Also,

I would like to run a inline fuse between the 12v source and this but not sure what to get? Any ideas?

If I go directly off the battery and I forget my phone plugged in how long before it would kill my battery, approx of course?

Thanks so much for all of your help on this.

Mitch

Last edited by MitchA; 08-09-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:18 AM

You need a rectifier that's capable of running above 1A. We're having trouble locating one standalone, so the best option is to scavenge one from a GOOD car charger (one that charges your phone).

As for the fuse, you want 12v, and 2A. If they don't have 2A, 3A is fine. You can go as high as 5A, but that's risky. Radio Shack has the fuses, and should have the inline cylindrical fuse holders as well.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
You need a rectifier that's capable of running above 1A. We're having trouble locating one standalone, so the best option is to scavenge one from a GOOD car charger (one that charges your phone).

As for the fuse, you want 12v, and 2A. If they don't have 2A, 3A is fine. You can go as high as 5A, but that's risky. Radio Shack has the fuses, and should have the inline cylindrical fuse holders as well.
So if Im understanding you everyone that followed this thread has this overheating issue?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:10 AM

dude, good job on the clean install. my recent riding buddy is an x marine and seams more interested in his fagg cell phone than actually riding. (requires many stops for various cell phone activity, then complains of limited battery life). his constant cell phone activety is a good front for pretending that he's got all kinds of bitches on lock, but sadly ive seen his nightly happenings, and they dont involve"bitches". make that USB dispense lonely 'bud lights' and u've got an invention of the yr. Seriously tho, isnt the point of cbr'ng about leaving ur **** behind, and raising hell?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Excellent!

BeHyper

Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by tully
dude, good job on the clean install. my recent riding buddy is an x marine and seams more interested in his fagg cell phone than actually riding. (requires many stops for various cell phone activity, then complains of limited battery life). his constant cell phone activety is a good front for pretending that he's got all kinds of bitches on lock, but sadly ive seen his nightly happenings, and they dont involve"bitches". make that USB dispense lonely 'bud lights' and u've got an invention of the yr. Seriously tho, isnt the point of cbr'ng about leaving ur **** behind, and raising hell?
I like the ideal. What do you do if you get out some where and break down and your Battery on your phone is about to die. Atleast if you have service youcan keep your phone charged for help.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good system but if you have a little room under the rear seat this is much easier to install.

Buy this kit from radio shack. It connects directly to your battery and comes with a 10amp in-line fuse and mounting hardware that you can use if you want.

Then buy this dual USB power adapter and plug into above kit.

Now you can charge anything you want on your bike plus you have the option to use standard car chargers for your phone. I have this on my 954 and can charge my phone and ipod while riding.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 PM

That's all well and good, but the iPod, as well as every modern phone out there, uses a standard USB cable. That whole kit just adds a ton of space-hogging plastic and metal into the mix. What's wrong with battery > rectifier > USB port? It's as tiny as you can get. I can't remember the last time I needed a custom "car" charger for anything. It's all USB now. . .

Old 03-22-2011, 04:46 PM

This is great!

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!