How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why didn't I think of this myself?

Awesome work man! I worked at RadioShack for a few years before I enlisted in the Corps so I can't believe I didn't think of this myself, it's so elegantly simple! Although I may be able to provide a simple solution to atleast solve the issue of losing the weatherproof USB cap.

After I set up everything as provided in this thread I drilled a small hole through the top of the USB cap and ran a small braided chrome wire through it and crimped the end so that it can't pull back through the hole, I then attached the other end of the wire to one of the USB mounting screws. Now it will never get lost, and if it happens to wear out over time I can just replace it.

Hope this is useful to some of you?

Semper Fi
N. MacLean Miller (Sgt, USMC Retired)

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stuart Mill

Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Yeah mine actually ended up falling in, but I fixed it by using some lok-tite on the screws.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello I am new at this but was reading the thread and like this idea a lot. The only thing is I am an IPhone user and was wondering if anyone has fixed the high-draw problem? I also read that someone just made a loop out of the two data wires and did that work? Will that mess up the phone doing a loop like that? Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM

The bottom line here is that you're better off buying a USB charger that works with your iPhone, and gutting the parts from inside it.

Also of note: I recently got an iPhone 4, and it can handle low and high-amperage chargers, so this method works fine.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Sweet i think im gonna mount mine under my seat

Old 12-10-2011, 02:52 PM

If you have an old computer or laptop.. Save itself a few bucks and rip that junk out lol

Old 12-31-2011, 03:32 PM

I bought my supplies months ago, and today is the day to do this, but the pictures are no longer visible? Any reason for this?

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:25 PM

No reply to my question? I don't think it is my computer which is not showing the images. I have used my phone, tablet, pc, and laptop (Chrome, IE, Firefox) and still unable to see the pictures.

I was able to wire it up just fine, luckily I have a basic knowledge of wiring, otherwise I would be stuck in the dark and awaiting for the pictures to be visible. The next person might not be able to do so with just words.

Thanks for the write up! Now I don't have to worry about my phone being out of power.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:08 AM

Romp... pictures are on a photo hosting site (photobucket or so) and if someone deletes their account or deletes their pictures then the link is no longer valid. How about you post up some pics and give back, not just take away from the site. Sharing is what this site is all about.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the response. I am all for sharing and helping out. When I first joined this forum I tried posting pictures but was unable to due to my account being new, haven't tried since then.

I could easily take pictures to replace the ones from OP, we would just need a mod to post them to the OP since this is not my thread.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Install a Charging USB Port on your Bike!!!! ZOMG!!