How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most likely not...there should be a plastic backing to the flushies, so the bulbs have a layer between the fairings and bulb. What ones are they...pics?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:20 PM

Mmmm when i bought the bike she came with those flushmounts so i dont know where it came from. I dont have any pics right now but i'll put some tomorrow.
Thanks for that ultra fast answer....

Old 12-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

John, if you turn your flush mount signals into running lights, you could absolutely have some melting...but probably to the signals themselves, not fairings. If you'll look back a couple of pages, that exact thing happened to me w/ my flush mounts. They were "catseye" signals that had been on my bike for yrs. They were bulb type. When I did the running light mod, they worked great for - oh - a few minutes, then the cases holding the lights melted. :O Then, I bought some cheapy stock-type lights & tried those...w/ the same melting result. Finally, I got actual *Hotbodies*, as the OP recommends, & all worked perfectly. ;-D The Hotbodies LED's are really great products.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:02 AM

I think the same thing "gotcbr" and maybe i have the same flushmounts that you melted with the difference that i'm not gonna do it if they melt. So maybe the best option is to buy hotbodies. But i still dont understand (or maybe i dont read very well) how does it works, i mean, did they always stay on and when you are gonna turn does they start blinking?? Lol!!!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the sigs - once wired as OP instructs - will be constantly *ON*. When you turn you signal on to signal a turn, it will flash as it normally would. :-)

Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 PM

not sure if anybody can help me out with this but i have a 03 600rr and i followed the instructions exactly for this turn signal mod and still having no success :-/ running lights work but when i switch to the turn signals it just blinks fast, like maybe 1/16th of a second per flash.any ideas?

Old 02-26-2010, 08:52 PM

Yea, I'm guessing you have led lights up front? You may need to get a variable load signal relay toflash slower. Do they only flash once? Or constantly just too fast? If just too fast and you are using the stock flasher rela you will need a new relay. Let me know cause I have a relay for you if you want.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:09 AM

when i flip the turn signal switch they flash off then just go crack addict fast.

But shouldn't they flash when i just hook up the blinker and ground wire to LED? I blew the fuse for the speedometer assembly once cause the ground touched the power on accident so thats why im just wondering if maybe i blew something somewhere else.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:25 AM

Flasher relays operate on a resistance value. Your stock relay is made to work "correctly" with the stock bulbs only.(IE, a govt. mandated flash rate) LED's have a near to nothing resistance so the current flies through them speeding up your flash. A variable load flasher relay is designed so whatever load you hook up to it, it will always flash at the same rate, whether it be LED's or the stock signals.

When i first put new led signals on the front of my bike, mine flashed very fast as well.
If you hook up the blinker+ and ground, they should still blink like crazy, except will not have running lights....only difference

hope this helps!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 AM

alright that makes sense. Where can i find one of these relays? and do i need to keep the diode setup?

Quick Reply: Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs