How-To: Mechanical This section is ONLY for sharing step-by-step instructions on how you did a project. Please post tech related questions in "General Tech". Adherence to this policy will be strictly enforced by the staff ...

Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wranghondo
I did it the way redz shows how to do it and it works just fine. I see no reason to try and find a short cut.
That doesn't really answer my question. I'm not trying to undermine redz how to, it's extremely helpful, I was just looking for someone with some electrical know how to explain why the running light wire needs a diode as well, or if it's really neccesary. I've already got one set of diodes, so I was just wondering if I can make it work with what I have.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 PM

I was thinking the same thing as you Weish.

I just mounted LED flush signals to front and back. Had no idea of this mod beforehand so now my gauge cluster has both turn signals light on. Wish I saw this thread before mounting them.

anyway im going to buy 4 diodes just in case but only add the diode on the turn signal wires first and then hook it all up and test it. Ill report back here once completed which should hopefully be this weekend or the next.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:49 PM

You do not need 4 of the diodes, only 2 are required. Just tested it today as I needed to do this mod to fix my turn signals.

What I did:
One diode on the solid blue and one on the solid orange; which are the turn/indicator signal wires. This way the flow of electricity for the running lights up front don't flow back down the turn indicator wire to the gauge cluster, resulting in constantly lit up turn signals on gauge cluster. It also kept the rear turn signals from being lit up all the time too.

Attached is a picture drawn by someone else on another forum but I just added the change to show it. On my LED turn signals the positive wire was yellow and not red. Which may be the same for others.

I also used 1N5401's. Any 1 amp one way diode will work.

Name:  Turnsignalwiring.jpg
Views: 2795
Size:  58.2 KB

Last edited by Joshua Rodriguez; 04-06-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Weish
That doesn't really answer my question. I'm not trying to undermine redz how to, it's extremely helpful, I was just looking for someone with some electrical know how to explain why the running light wire needs a diode as well, or if it's really neccesary. I've already got one set of diodes, so I was just wondering if I can make it work with what I have.

Is it possible that the other diode makes the running light a bit less bright? I haven't paid attention to mine to see if there's a difference.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered Users

Will the HotBodiesRacing indicators fit the f4 fairing?