General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It wont start start when cold.......HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It wont start start when cold.......HELP

hi all, i'v got a 97 cbr600f which is a swecked ine to start when cold, operating the choke makes no difference at all. when it does finally start after continued winding over it stalls straight away(wont tick over) without keeping rpm up. when its warm it starts fine! It rides fine either when its hot or cold,iv checked the spark is ok. any ideas please gents?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long have you had the bike for? My F3 is quirky in it's cold start up procedure.
I don't turn on the petrol, don't touch the throttle & just use the choke other wise no start.
Could be your choke is not working properly (you say it makes no difference, so may not even be connected up) or you may need new plugs or your carbs need adjusting.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Well, it certainly sounds like your Choke is not operating correctly. I'd check the cable first to make sure it's actually moving the choke assembly on the carburetors. To do so requires removing the tank as well as the upper and lower air filter housing. It's 2 bolts and 3 hoses to remove the tank. 7 screws and 2 clamps to remove the upper air cleaner cover, then 6 screws to remove the lower air cleaner housing.

What you're looking for is a cable attached to the top of the carburetors on the right side. As you actuate the Choke lever on the handle bar, you'll see it move. Check to see if it's operating properly.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:36 AM

have checked the choke linkage,its connected and seems to operate how it should.
have got bike started,as soon as i operate choke it cuts out!!!!
have to use fast idle screw to stop it stalling when idling. thinking of getting complete set of carbs and replacing them...

Old 04-18-2010, 01:03 AM

are you turning off the choke before it gets a chance to warm up? Is your idle too low i know that on my f3 that if it is cold outside and the idle is set for 80 90 degree days it is harder to start and keep running without playing with the choke. And you probibly dont need to replace the carbs if you are going to go through the trouble of replacing them than the least you can do for them is do a once over on them and make sure they are clean as a whistle and balanced.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:23 AM

if i operate the the choke it does not start or run at all! gonna give my carbs a once over first to see if there is any signs of dirt or faulty parts.
is this a big job do you know?
cheers phill

Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Altough it is possible to pick up a set of carburetors on ebay for around $50, you're still going to need to clean them. Parts don't wear out on your carburetors. They get dirty and plugged up. They can be a challenge to get properly cleaned. Sme of the passage ways are really small. I can assure you that if they are properly cleaned and adjusted it will idle properly, and start with the use of the choke when the engine is cold.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:13 PM

iv got the carbs stripped! all jets are out,all diaphrams are out,an all looks clean with no obvious signs of wear or dirt. dont really know what i should be looking for to be honest...... just gotta go over the choke and pilot screws i suppose?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:10 AM

i have a 2000 cbr 600 f4, does the same thing every year, i have 31,000 miles and still runs good. in the spring i have to change the plugs and it fires right up do not know why but that is how i have been doing it for 8 years now and it works, at first i was buying the ngk $8.00 plugs and after 3 years said hell with this and went to murrays and bought comparable $2.50 plugs and works just as good, or you might want to replace the battery if your battery is 3 years old or older, it may be turning over but just not enough oooomph! this has happened to me too with the same symptoms your telling. these carb bikes are tempormental in the cold unless you have fuel injection. i will ride all the way until november when its cold and i go to take it out for a ride and it will start, idle low, stop, and refuses to start, then i will put the cover on it and start over in the spring. like i said this is how i have been doing it for 8 years, and im pretty fast at ripping apart bike to change plugs!

Last edited by honda f4; 04-20-2010 at 07:14 AM.