General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best chain lube to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hangfire
They are the same, they both tell you to use chain lube
Wrong again. Just a few posts ago Juliet said her manual told her to use gear oil. Page 151 in my 2007 CBR1000RR owners manual reads, "Lubricate only with SAE 80 or 90 gear oil." How many chain manufacturers are telling you to use gear oil on their O-ring chains? I've yet to find one.

The forum has put an amazing amount of effort into belittling me, but seemingly no effort to discuss the actual, real world results. So I ask again- How many of you are getting over 20,000 miles out of a chain?

If WD-40 is so bad, so inferior then how did I get so many miles out of my last chain with so little wear? Until someone can explain that, this is far from settled.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am confused here ...my manual does indeed say just use 80/90 gear oil, I thought that is what I said ..gear oil or 80/90 gear oil is what I meant, all my bike manuals say the same ..also 80/90 gear oil is a well recognised way to chain lube, cheap too :-)

Jules

Old 05-02-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Juliet
I am confused here ...my manual does indeed say just use 80/90 gear oil, I thought that is what I said ..gear oil or 80/90 gear oil is what I meant, all my bike manuals say the same ..also 80/90 gear oil is a well recognised way to chain lube, cheap too :-)

Jules
I was pointing out the discrepancy between Honda and the O-ring chain manufacturers as to what lube is recommended. Honda says use to ONLY gear oil and that commercial chain lubricants may damage O-rings. Chain manufacturers tell you to use a (commercially made) O-ring safe chain lubricant. So who's advise do you follow?

Ignoring a manufacturer's recommendation isn't necessarily bad.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I would say either is fine to use :-) ... I just prefer gear oil, it's what my dad always used and swore by it, Honda recommend it for their bike chains too ... it's cheap and easy to apply out the bottle with the tube supplied and I did over 25,000 miles on my first 600 F2 and never replaced the chain, I didn't measure it or anything but it was still smooth to ride and had lots of adjustement left too ... I also believe the commercially available O ring safe chain lubes are fine also ... a chain does need something a bit thicker than normal or thin oil as it's heavy duty and is hard on the lubricant ... I do put my long chain life down to my regular cleaning as much as my "little and often" approach with gear oil :-)

If you don't clean the chain regularly all that road grime and grit mixed with your lube of choice makes a great grinding paste ... so cleaning regularly is a biggie ..so many people just lube and lube and lube without hardly ever actually cleaning the chain ...

Jules

Old 05-02-2009, 08:03 PM

If WD-40 actually hurt O-rings or displaced/removed/dissolved the grease behind them, RK wouldn't recommend putting it on your chain.

If WD-40 actually hurt O-rings or displaced/removed/dissolved the grease behind them, a chain would not go 20,000 miles with minimal wear.

Where have I contradicted myself or misrepresented something by taking it out of context? Be concise and don't try to address more than one point at a time.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBRclassic

Bugger it !! I cant take any more
Om buying 24 gals of WD40 and dippin me whole bloody bike in it ... might spray it on me leathers too , just to make sure I slip through the wind as well..

and fvuckit... om fitting a spayer to the front of my CBR to spray the bloody road ahead of me to lessen the friction on me tires and increace my mileage from a tank of gas too.. :-)
LOL too funny

Old 05-03-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by SD2007
If WD-40 is so bad, so inferior then how did I get so many miles out of my last chain with so little wear? Until someone can explain that, this is far from settled.
Dude I just replaced my o-ring chain at 18,750k miles and I have never touched that chain with any type of cleaning or greasing. Guess what "THERE WAS NO NOTICEABLE CHAIN WEAR!" I'll explain, anyone can get 20k out of a chain without touching it, it's the next 20k miles that you wont get out of it using WD-40 as a chain lube. Smart up homie, no one likes that guy that always wants to argue for no apparent reason but to argue, but I'm sure you know that.

Like I said 75w-90 Royal Purple till I run out then regular Walmart brand Dino oil 85w-90.

Last edited by bradseabridge; 05-03-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: what is the best chain lube to buy???