General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best chain lube to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use wd40 as a lubricant because it just slings off the chain. I clean with it but use Bel-Ray no fling chain lube, works so awesome i don't run a chain guard!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

so if wd40 is so bad for your o-rings, why would you still use it as a degreaser? you are still puting it on your chain...
I'm just saying that WD-40 is good for cleaning stuff, as a "general cleaner". I personally stopped using it on my chain altogether when I learned of this potential problem. I don't see anything wrong with saturating a towel and wiping down the exterior, but I wouldn't spray it directly on the chain.
Also, although I don't believe it's detrimental to the o-ring itself (or any rubber for that matter), I do believe it has the capability of getting past the o-rings and compromising the internal grease, thereby drying them out. I have no conclusive evidence of this, but if experienced riders as well as several publications mention of a potential concern, then it would be wise to take heed, imo.
I've been using Simple Green with a toothbrush & it works really good. I'll use the WD to clean the sprockets, kickstand, & chain covers that's about it.
WD-40 is also widely used with firearms where again, it's used as a cleaner; never as a lubricant; but nobody ever argues that on those forums, lol.

Last edited by Incognito; 04-29-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
I think that one sums it all up my friend.. LOL
Are you changing your stance on the damaging effects of WD-40 or are you contradicting yourself?

What exactly is my dreamworld? Do you think I'm lying about going 20,000 miles on a chain?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:17 PM

Ok , let put this O Ring thing to bed..
It is documented on many motorcycle and car forums and generally mentioned all over the web and has been common knowledge that rubber can be a little adversely effected by WD40... over a long long period of time..
It does not dissolve O Rings in a week ...it does not make the disintegrate over night... but it is not very good for them in general..
Yeah "documented" on sites like this where any opinion can be found. My 20,000 mile chain lasted 9 years. Is that long enough? Do you want to see a picture of the O-rings from this chain?

The point here is not whether WDF40 is a chain killing nightmare to use, but that there are far better alternatives ready to use , off the shelf , that do a way more effective job that the dreaded WD40LOL
Way more effective? What test results are you basing this on? How many more miles will a properly lubed chain last compared to one that was merely cleaned with WD-40? You haven't the slightest idea, do you? From what I can tell none of your comments and opinions regarding WD-40 are based on actual results. If that's the case maybe you should stop talking about WD-40.

If fact from now on, only Chuck Norris is allowed to talk about WD-40...

Old 04-29-2009, 07:36 PM

Geesus ..how old are you mate?
I have changed nothing , nor contradicted myself...
I guess I have to spoon feed logical thought to you now. When you said "that about sums it up" the phrase "this hysteria about WD-40 destroying O-rings is complete BS" was included in that summation. See the apparent contradiction now?

Your dream world is where you think that WD40 is worth even arguing about as a recommended chain lube .. (that is a dam dream)
Actually my purpose was to dispel the myth that WD-40 is an O-ring destroyer. How are you going to argue with results?

anyway ... please do me a favor and try to stop pulling little pieces of my posts out of context and making issues of them...
Sorry, I have to when I disagree with so many of your statements. Have I misrepresented any of your comments by taking them out of context?

How long do you think I have been around motor cycle chains mate ...?
I did not just get off the last bus yu know.. ok
I've been around a lot of things I'm not fit to argue about.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:40 PM

May be you should give it a rest pal...
"You think I have not got a clue" ............. hu?
" From what you can tell " ? .. well that does explain thing a little clearer for me.. LOL

mate ... time for your bed ...
You can't debate a point to save your life! Stop replying with cheesy insults and discuss results!!!

Quick Reply: what is the best chain lube to buy???