General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best chain lube to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What to take away from that site...

"Use a lubricant specifically designed for O-Ring Chains."

Old 05-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Why do people have such problems with using the recommended anything?? ..I mean Honda built your bikes, invested millions in research and presumably know a thing or two about their bikes and what works best ... if my manual tells me to use a good quality 10/30 weight oil for my engine then I will use it, who am I to say different?? ... my manual tells me to use gear oil 80/90 on the chain and I do and have never had a problem or chain wear ... why do people need/want to change the rules?? ...based on what?? ...just curious ..lol

paraffin is so cheap and easy to clean a chain and does such a thorough job without risk to o rings etc, gear oil or a high quality chain lube/wax keeps the chain healthily lubricated for the longest period ... how hard can this be??

Jules :-)

Old 05-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbear
WD-40 is not a lubricant. It is a penetrator/cleaner/metal surface protectant. The recommended lube is recommended for a reason. Keep going the way you are with WD-40 if you want, but don't spout inaccurate or incomplete information on here where noobs without a clue can gobble it up.
Maybe you should direct your comments to MartiniRossy, he's the one that said RK "suggests not using WD-40 on your chain". That is inaccurate information.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 PM

I maintain my chain the exact same was as Jules, as a matter of fact. Clean it real good with Kerosene and a brush, then once its nice and clean, and dry, i use PJ1 Blue Label spray lube. Its super sticky, and hardly slings of a few drops within minutes of applying it, and the spray makes it really convenient to apply.

No idea if its the best, because i have not infact tried every single lubricator in the world, but i know it works wonderfully for me, and i cant ask for any more.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I maintain my chain the exact same was as Jules, as a matter of fact. Clean it real good with Kerosene and a brush, then once its nice and clean, and dry, i use PJ1 Blue Label spray lube. Its super sticky, and hardly slings of a few drops within minutes of applying it, and the spray makes it really convenient to apply.

No idea if its the best, because i have not infact tried every single lubricator in the world, but i know it works wonderfully for me, and i cant ask for any more.

That's the ticket :-) ..and the main thing with lubricating your chain is "little and often" *that* is what really works for chain longevity ... no use leaving it for a thousand mile and then drowning it ... it will spend more of those miles dry than wet ... with little and often it's always oiled and with little you don't get the mess :-) ..I also tend to lube it before a nice ride out for the day, I like to start my rideouts with a nicely lubed chain

Jules

Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Juliet
Why do people have such problems with using the recommended anything?? ..I mean Honda built your bikes, invested millions in research and presumably know a thing or two about their bikes and what works best ... if my manual tells me to use a good quality 10/30 weight oil for my engine then I will use it, who am I to say different?? ... my manual tells me to use gear oil 80/90 on the chain and I do and have never had a problem or chain wear ... why do people need/want to change the rules?? ...based on what?? ...just curious ..lol

paraffin is so cheap and easy to clean a chain and does such a thorough job without risk to o rings etc, gear oil or a high quality chain lube/wax keeps the chain healthily lubricated for the longest period ... how hard can this be??

Jules :-)
Many times the recommendations of the motorcycle manufacturer and those of the chain manufacturer are not the same. What then? I learned early in life that manufacturer's instructions and recommendations aren't gospel and they don't always have my best interests in mind.

Several years ago when I was using thick, messy, dirt collecting chain lubes and waxes I heard something similar to what RK says on their web site, that O-ring chains don't need external lubrication, just something to keep them from rusting. I was skeptical at the time, but I decided to try an alternative treatment just to see what would happen....

1998- I bought my first new bike, a red Kawasaki ZX-9R. After fixing up old junkers, it was such a treat to have a new bike. Anyway, very early on I decided to go with the WD-40 chain maintenance program. After the initial break-in, the chain didn't seem to stretch or wear. Chain slack adjustments were very infrequent. 9 years and 19,750 miles later I decided to go ahead and replace the chain. Even though it seemed fine, I wasn't 100% sure and was feeling really uneasy about going past 20,000.

After I removed the chain, I put it under tension with a car jack and measured 49 links of the chain. It came out to 30 and 11/16 inches. Scaled for 20 links that's 318.15 mm. In the service manual, the "standard" length is given as 317.5 to 318.2 mm. The wear limit is 323 mm. After almost 20,000 miles the chain wasn't even close to the wear limit.

You say a chain lube/wax keeps the chain healthily lubricated for the longest period. What is that period? How many of you are getting 20,000 miles out of a chain on an open class sportbike with such little chain wear?

I use WD-40 because it's much cleaner than chain lube and has proven to work very very well.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBRriderNevada
Well, SD2007, I guess you could use 3 in 1 oil in your motor also. May not be the best oil, but you don't seem to care about "recommended" anything. Olive oil will work too. It is oil. Put it on you chain or in your motor. You don't care if Olive oil is not recommended for engines or chains so go use it.... Same difference.
Spunky, you make a good antagonist, so when you are at a gathering, I bet you are the devil's advocate in every discussion. Not a bad life to live if you are into group think exercises, but when it comes to being an expert, you fall short. Sorry you life is so messed up Spunky.
HAHAHAHA 3 in 1!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Olive Oil!!!! You ol' knee slapper you!!!

I forget who mentioned it, I was so busy laughing at CBRriderNevadas wit, but this thread is titled "what is the best chain lube to buy???" So are there any other suggestions as to which lube? Has anyone else tried Castrol Chain Wax?

Quick Reply: what is the best chain lube to buy???