General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best chain lube to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRriderNevada

Tell us how YOU measure chain wear....
I went to the section called "Drive Chain Wear Inspection" found on page 10-5 of my '98 Kawasaki ZX-9R service manual. I didn't measure the chain when it was new, I just know the measurement at 20,000 was within the "standard" range and was well short of the service limit. That's what I'm talking about when I say no measurable wear. Maybe I should have said "minimal wear", whatever...

Until I see some intelligent, results-based discussion in this thread, I'm going to be spending my time elsewhere.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to stay out of this until I read CBRriderNevada's comments. I respect Classic as much as anyone, however your lame attempt at coming to his aide and circling the wagons was just that, lame. Booger eater? Snot? Wow, really? Perhaps you should stop watching Spongebob and Cartoon Network and start thinking about your post prior to making them public. The debate between Classic and SD is a good one. I never thought to use WD-40, and now because of their lively conversation/debate I have more insight into it. Will I start using it? Nope, I love the Castrol Chain Wax and will stick to it. You CBRriderNevada, however, should cease the overuse of your meds, not mix them with the ol' fire water, and keep this thread open to informative yet entertaining debate, not a poor, zero witted attempt at aiding Classic. If you really wanted to help Classic, you would first have realized that SD's attacks on him and vice versa are all in good spirit and part of the need to prove ones point. The zingers are all associated with spirited argument. So my advice to you is to slowly make your way back to your room and away from the computer (the retirement home orderly can help you if necessary), lay down, and rest. When you rise from your slumber, it is my hope that you can contribute something meaningful to this debate, not your snot or childish name calling.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Now everyone stay calm
but....
Do not use WD40 AS A CHAIN LUBE !!!!!
It will dry your chain out ... remove all internal lubricants and loosens every bit of chit, to the extent where it fly's ALL over you and your bike!!

sure it is a great chain cleaner and I also use it for that purpose...
Use any good brand "non fling off type" spray motorcycle chain lube or Chain Wax...

NEVER JUST WD40 a chain and then ride it..
The WD40 cleans and washes great... including ALL THE INNER ROLLER LUBE OUT!!!
You want to kill your chain off ...then ok use it by its self..
Thankyou!!!! Excluding non O-ring chains, WD-40 is all bad.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 AM

Just so I don't get flamed for jumping on the bandwagon. Facts:

WD-40 = Water Displacement 40. Bad for metal chain links? No. Bad for embedded H20 in nitrile O-rings? Yes.

If RK, maker o chain for many o years, suggests not using WD-40 on your chain, should you listen to them? Screw it, everyone knows better anyway!! I'm out!

Old 04-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Gosh, I am amazed at the arguements here about simple chain maintenance ... I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if I am repeating anything but here goes ...

Our Honda manuals recommend gear oil 80 or 90 as a lubricant for our chains ... gears and chains need quite a thick lubricant, thin stuff just doesn't cut it and is lost and evaporated too readily ... to those that say wd40 for cleaning I would say not, firstly why, it's pretty expensive (over here it is) and a possibility the solvents in it will react with the o rings of your chain ...

The good old time honoured and proven way is to use paraffin (you guys say kerosene) I always put my bikes on their main stand (or a paddock if you don't have a mainstand) and have a bowl of paraffin below the bottom run of the chain ..I use plenty and a soft two inch paintbrush which I dip in the bowl and bring up to the chain and brush it on, the paraffin just drops through the chain and back into the bowl taking all the dirt and grit with it ... once you have done the length by turning the wheel to clean the rest you then let it air dry off, it evaporates and dries quite quickly ...then I use gear oil to relube, obvioulsy you may use your favourite chain lube be it wax or whatever but I use gear oil as my dad used it on his bikes and the manual recommends it too, it's cheap and the best results are obtained by using it little but often :-)

The paraffin is simply wonderful and easy for cleaning chains up as good as new and it's amazing the dirt and grit that ends up in the bowl ...

WD40 is more of a mositure displacer and metal surface protector, sure it has lubrication properties as does any oily substance, but it's not meant for the heavy wear and tear of chains and sprockets, that is why we use gear oil or some chain lubricant especially designed for the job ..

hope this helps :-)

Jules

Quick Reply: what is the best chain lube to buy???