General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best chain lube to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have read the whole thread in the first place. Wow some people just love to argue..

Anyway, Juliet really summed it up quite well..

Last edited by chuckbear; 04-30-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Should have read the whole thread in the first place. Wow some people just love to argue..

Anyway, Juliet really summed it up quite well..
aww ..thank you :-)

Jules

Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MartiniRossy

If RK, maker o chain for many o years, suggests not using WD-40 on your chain, should you listen to them? Screw it, everyone knows better anyway!! I'm out!
RK suggests NOT using WD-40 on your chain???

From http://www.rkexcelamerica.com/faq.html

"If your chain comes in contact with water, be sure to use a moisture displacement (like WD40)."

Also note this statement-

"The purpose of an O-Ring lube is to keep the chain from rusting and the O-rings from drying out."

WD-40 does that, it just needs more frequent application than the recommended lube.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont spray directly on the chain because in my mind, since it is a lite weight, penatrating oil, I dont want it to penatrate the O rings and its such a lite weight that I'm afraid it wont actually lubricate properly I mean, friction protection is what its all about, right? You wouldn't put a lite weight oil in your engine. So why put a lighter weight lubricant on your chain than is recomended? I just dont see the point of using something thats NOT recomended just because you haven't ruined anything with it yet.......

Old 05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SD2007
"The purpose of an O-Ring lube is to keep the chain from rusting and the O-rings from drying out."

WD-40 does that, it just needs more frequent application than the recommended lube.
WD-40 is not a lubricant. It is a penetrator/cleaner/metal surface protectant. The recommended lube is recommended for a reason. Keep going the way you are with WD-40 if you want, but don't spout inaccurate or incomplete information on here where noobs without a clue can gobble it up.

Quick Reply: what is the best chain lube to buy???