General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifting/clutching/chain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting/clutching/chain?

i have a few questions here. i dont like to make multiple posts so i try to arrange them in a way they can relate and be answered in one.

first question is shifting. sometimes at a light when im coming down from we'll say 4th. i can kick it down 6 or more times before it goes past the neutral.

seems like its not engaging to the next gear sometimes when it feels like it is.

second question is clutching. this happened just recently but i was on the highway and the bike felt drifty in the rear. kinda like i was riding on a crowned road. i then was near my exit and started to feel like i was going over a bunch of small humps. i have been on this expressway alot and i know it is all smooth. when i got to the gas station i looked the bike over and the chain was lose as can be. i could push it up and easily touch the swing arm. i rode the bike home on back roads going 35 the entire way and shifted and excelerated as smooth as possible. i tightened the chain today and went out and rode the hell out of it to see if it would happen again. when i got home and measured it and it moved a small bit. anyone have any ideas? i tightend the axle bolt to specs.

third question might tie into the above. i clean and lube my chain every 500 miles. i noticed one of the links is binded out of line. when the chain streches straight across there is a link that wants to stay slighty up. this is an obvious question and im sure i need a new chain and sprocket. so i guess my question on that is what is a good chain and sprocket combo? and would that have any relation to my above question?

BTW. it is an 01 F4i

thanks guys

Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that a lot of what you have described to down shifting is related to the chain. As for going light at the front that just a to generous application of the right wrist.
When you do your chain you have to make sure your doing it correctly, getting the right amount of tension is as important as making sure your adjusting from the chains tightest point. The binding could be to a stuffed 'O' ring (which usually happens when the chain is buggered as well), chains will stretch, that's just the way they are, when you 1st get a new one, they stretch just rolling them out of the driveway (It seems like it anyway). i won't go into chain & sprocket recommendations, but I'm sure someone else chime in.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Default just went through this...

get a chain and sprocket ASAP. as for the dowshift problem, check the linkage for loose parts. if all is tight try gently easing up on the shifter then downshift. if that cures it ive been told theres a problem with the shaft connecting the linkage to the bike behind the cover and seal. thats the problem i have, comes from upshifting with no clutch, either way stop tryin to make it go if it dnt wana. just mt two cents

Old 08-07-2009, 08:02 AM

LOL..... no where in michigan is the road smooth, you lie! I agree get a chain and sprocket combo, as you are new stick with the stock setup for now. Don't go to a 520 chain or anything. I don't think it would be a good idea right now. Everthing will be better with a new chain.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:05 AM

+1^ And the only twisties we have is dodging potholes. STAW AWAY from the 520 set-up. That # indicates the different width of the chain, 525 is stock and is stronger than the 520, it'll last longer and stretch less. For gearing (this is the difference you will notice) alot of folks go -1/+2 (that is 15 teeth on the front and 48 on the rear) this will give you alot more torque at take off, but you'll be running at 7K rpms on I94 (9K on 696)lol. It'll also be alot lighter on the front, so if you go this way take it easy on the launches till you get used to it. My buddy accidently pulled a wheelie and dumped the bike, it was pretty funny to watch (obviously he didnt get hurt...maybe his pride). Oh and the clicking is due to a weak battery, take it to murrays (um, o'rileys) have them charge it and load test it, and make sure the connections are tight.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:42 PM

I dont really have anything to add as the advice given about the chain.

but as far as the shifting at the light, I was a little unclear, but, if your already stopped and not moving, it wont shift from 4th to 1st. You need to be moving in order to downshift and should downshift into first before you stop.

oh yeah, + a bazillion for no smooth roads in michigan.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Oh yeah... I forgota bout that. If yer at the light and need to down shift, roll the bike back and forth a lil. I just do it while slowing down. Obviously I'm not winding my motor up when I do it. (not past 6K)

Old 08-10-2009, 07:44 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I have a 01 F4i as well and my seems to do the same thing when downshifting. I noticed that revving it a bit helps and makes for a smoother shift, try that.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 PM

haha +5 to this whole thread. Your chain and sprockets are bunk, and the trans is meant to shift while moving, so getting it to comply at a standstill is going to be difficult.