CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Shifting without clutching

Old 09-08-2006, 10:05 PM
VP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting without clutching

Okay, I accidentally shifted gears on the bike today without clutching in, and I realized how easily it slides into and out of each gear. First question: is it bad for the bike to do this? i.e. will I pay for it later if I take it on as a habit?
Second question: is it bad for the bike to go into gears as easily as it does? I mean I put a little more pressure on the bike that it takes to break an egg and it can shift gears.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Default RE: Shifting without clutching

my bike shifts the same way, i kind of wondered if there was anything wrong with upshifting this way...

Old 09-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shifted smoothly... probably 'cause it dosen't have a history, of clutchless shifts... make sense???
Gear engagement dogs, shift forks, clutch, crank, bearings, rear hub rubber cushions, chains spockets,cct's everything has to take from a small, to a large increase, in abuse. When it comes time to resell, or trade in... it will cost you cubic $$$$$$$ , If it lasts that long...
Price a gearbox lately??? Just not worth it...IMHO. Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 09-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem with clutchless changes up thru the box. Just ease off the throttle slightly at the same time as shifting the gear lever up. Personally, I use the clutch for 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd. After that I go clutchless. If I'm taking things easy and riding with less acceleration thru the gears I use the clutch to smooth things out.

I wouldn't recommend clutchless changes down thru the box though.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:22 PM

Not being a smart a** but it has a clutch for a reason.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:23 AM

Here's my $.02...

The clutch is designed to take the force off of the transmission when you're shifting. Although shifting can be done without the clutch, I'm thinking more force will be going through the transmission than it was designed to take and it will wear out sooner as well as wear out the syncros faster. How much sooner?? Well, I don't work at Honda, so I haven't tested it, but I figure it's not worth the $$ to find out.

Sidenote: Most newer cars and motorcycles have good enough syncros in the tranmission to be able to be shifted without clutching.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:00 PM

As long as you unload the system (i.e., roll off the throttle slightly) before shifting, it will not harm your transmission in any way, whatsoever. Obviously it's a lot harder to go into a lower gear this way and since you don't want to grind it, its not generally recommended. Think about race bikes with electric shifters. As soon as the racer clicks the shifter, it momentarily cuts the ignition which unloads the systems and allows for a clean shift without the clutch. You are essentially doing the same thing as you roll off the throttle. At high rpms, its a little harder on the gearbox but for crusing around, it won't hurt anything. Motorcycle transmissions don't use synchronizers so you wouldn't have to worry about wearing them out.

Honda's have great gearboxes, there is nothing wrong with your bike. Believe me, if you owned an older suzuki with a clunky gearbox that missed gears and found false nuetrals, you'd realize how good it is to have a smooth, accurate gear box!

Old 09-21-2006, 10:10 PM

Not even going to reply about the actual topic lol.

It is sad that a majority of the questions asked on this site are from people with a very tiny amount of riding experience....

AGAIN.... READ READ READ.

You are riding a Preformance LITERbike and asking questions like a 8 year old on his first dirtbike...

Old 09-21-2006, 11:23 PM
VP

wow I gues that makes me a loser huh... thanks for joining the site we will all bow before you in your mighty motorcycle knowledge

Old 09-21-2006, 11:37 PM

Wow, do you need to be an a-hole today? Let a guy ask a question, it's not going to cramp your style any.

vpsophmore... I bow at your side while paying homage to the almighty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting without clutching