General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing R/R, Stator, & Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing R/R, Stator, & Battery

My Bike : 1998 Honda CBR 900RR

Went out last night & hit up some local park twisties and bike started acting real funny - got it home, turned off and went to turn back on immediately and nothing.

Had battery issues, so I went to put on a charge and battery charger gave me an error saying the battery was bad. Did some research online and found out that it was more likely a r/r & stator issue because apparently my bike is known for it. So I decided to just buy a new stator and r/r to replace the OEM parts.

I'm not very mechanical but I'm going to attempt to replace these parts myself (mostly because I want to learn to become self sufficient on my bike) - Anyone have any tips before I do this so I don't mess anything up. I'll be referring to the CBR repair manual but is there any tricks that I should know before heading in such as any specific tools I may need that I may not already have.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:33 PM

So you bought both a stator and a r/r without knowing which one is bad. What about checking to see if they are bad first? I just saw the stator runs $240 and the rr $135. I had my cover off before. The hardest part of this job(not that it is hard) that you are trying to do is getting a good seal when replacing the alternator cover. Make sure you have a new gasket for the cover and apply sealant (I think i used hondabond) where the wire grommet goes into the cover. The rest is screwing/unscrewing. Oh and make sure your screws are torqued correctly- 12nm,9lbft.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:15 PM

The longer I wait on parts, the longer I can't ride... Living in Ohio, you have to take advantage of all riding time you can.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drain the oil when replacing the stator, as well.
Also, no matter how tempting don't pry around the gasket-seat.
You will damage the mating surfaces and never get a good oil seal afterwards.
Thoroughly remove the old gasket, being careful to not scrape the faces.

It's tough pulling the stator cover, due to the strong permanent magnets fixed to it.
Exercise your patience, not your muscles.

Good luck, Ern

Old 04-25-2013, 10:58 AM

I didnt drain the oil. You'll only lose a couple drops that are behind the cover. I think mine was on a paddock stand though. Can't remember how I did it. If you have it on the kickstand, you might lose oil. I don't know what kind of angle the bike has to be at for it to start leaking out. It did require a little patience to get off but its not hard. If you do damage the cover , i have an extra one I'll sell you