General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt Title: Is this Safe to Buy?

Old 03-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt Title: Is this Safe to Buy?

Hey everyone, I'm looking at a 2007 cbr 600 with a rebuilt title. If it has been rebuilt and allowed to be insured and back on the road, could it still have issues? I haven't driven down to see it in person yet (it's about an hour and a half drive) but I don't want to waste my time if I'm going to regret getting it. I want a safe bike! How can it was "rebuilt" correctly?

Also, he was asking $7000 CAN for it, but I offered $6000 and he decided to take that for it. Is that still too much to be asking?

Old 03-15-2009, 05:22 PM

I would price other bikes in the same area and see how much they are going for. If this bike is only 1-2 grand less, I'd pass on it. It would have to be really cheap in order for me to buy it. Being that new, it must have sustained some pretty heafty damage to be totalled. I would be doubtful that it was merely cosmetic damage.

If at all possible, get the vin number and try to do a search and see why it was totalled. If it was frame damage or suspension, I would pass.

having said that. It is possible that the bike is completely safe. It just depends on what damage was done and how it was fixed. A bike that suffered only cosmetic damage will surely be fine to buy, but just be sure of its damage. the seller will surely say it was only cosmetic damage, but try to find out for sure.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too pricey...You can get a brand new '08 600RR for 8000 US. Not sure what the exchange rate is but I know its pretty close. If you really want a deal and don't care whether or not the title is "clean", then you need to find a local auction and buy a wreck and fix it yourself. I picked up an01 F4i for 1500 at a police auction, needed an exhaust, some fairing work, new frame sliders (one was broke off), and typical PM. Anyways, read the stickey "used bike buyers guide", go down there well informed, +1 Squid, make sure you inspect the frame real good for cracks, forks leaky or scratches in the shafts ect. Then pick out every lil flaw and lowball his a$$ for like 4500 (or less). As far as it being rebuilt "correctly", not sure 'bout Canadian laws, but here in Michigan the bike needs to be inspected by a certified "inspector" (usually a cop), and all repairs need to be documented and reciepts must be provided. And you could look up a stealership in the area and take it to them during your "test" ride and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb. (just ley him know in advance so he dont think you're not comming back)lol It'll either be a couple hundo you knock off the purchase price, or a couple hundo well spent to keep you from buying a POS that you'll have to sink too much $$$ into.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Too pricey...You can get a brand new '08 600RR for 8000 US.
Agreed, I saw a '08 1000RR for $7800US with 1200 miles on it.

Oh if my wife wouldn't kill me I would have upgraded.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rock_and_Ride
Hey everyone, I'm looking at a 2007 cbr 600 with a rebuilt title. If it has been rebuilt and allowed to be insured and back on the road, could it still have issues? I haven't driven down to see it in person yet (it's about an hour and a half drive) but I don't want to waste my time if I'm going to regret getting it. I want a safe bike! How can it was "rebuilt" correctly?

Also, he was asking $7000 CAN for it, but I offered $6000 and he decided to take that for it. Is that still too much to be asking?
If your questioning. Dont buy it. There are tons of other bikes out there. As for rebuilt titles. There are bikes that becomes salvage because of costly OEM plastics. But yeah. I would say rebuilt title bikes should be safe. In the states here in order to convert a salavage title to rebuilt title they would need to pass inspection.

If you really want it, find a bike mechanic and tell him to take the bike there for another inspection. The $6k price is ok if it got low milage and everything looks good.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:51 PM

+1 to justasquiud and skooby doobie. My 900rr was laid down on its right side pretty light and I rebuilt it. Just had the frame and forks inspected, and it drove straight as well, but if you are only saving a 1000, I'd go for a clean used one

Old 03-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that is too much for a rebuilt bike. I am in the proccess of rebuilding a 954rr and I will be happy to sell it for half of what a nice 954 goes for. I would also say if you aren't sure of what to look for don't by a salvaged/rebuilt bike. If you don't notice the small things they will add up fast

Old 03-18-2009, 10:59 AM

Hey everyone,
Thanks for all your help! I actually found the guy who sold the bike to the person I might be buying it from and asked him about it cause I figured he'd be the most honest seeming how he's not the one trying to sell the bike. He said it passed inspection perfectly, and has ridden it without any problems; also, he said he's sold several re-built titled bikes over the years and has never had someone come back with a problem. Basically, the bike slid on its side and had the fairings replaced, and I'm not sure what else, but there is an inspection sheet I can look at when I go to see it. The inspection was done by "walt healy", which is a dealership.

I like Skoobydoobie's idea about "test riding" it to get inspected again haha, but I think there is still too much snow on the ground up here for me to even test it out... Problem is, next week is really the only week I can pick it up, cause I'm going back to school in the states very soon and have been looking for a bike around $6000 for the last few months. In USD it would be about 4700, and a clean one is a considerable amount more than my bike budget (I don't want to finance or take out a loan).

Soooo all that being said, I'm pretty sure that it's a safe bike, but from what you guys said, I will ask him to go lower on the price, because I could probably get a clean titled one for about 1800 more. I will also definitely be doing a check on the VIN #

Thanks!