Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Buying a bike with a rebuilt title?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a bike with a rebuilt title?

Is something like this safe to do? I'm looking at getting my first sport bike here soon and I have my heart set on an 03' or newer 600RR but I will settle for an 01' or newer F4i if the price is right. While browsing craigslist and cycle trader I came across a few, what seemed like, great deals for a few 600RR's but the people said they now lived over seas would ship the bike to me for free if I sent them the money...

Right now I have roughly $3,000 cash to spend on a bike, and will take out a loan if I find the perfect bike for a good price. Well, on cycle trader there is an 01 F4i with a rebuilt title for sale for $2950. What are your thoughts on this bike? I'm a little sketchy on buying the bike due to the rebuilt title. What are some things I should look for if I go check the bike out in person and what are some questions I should ask the guy when I give him a call? Last one, does anyone know if a bike with a rebuilt title can be registered in the state of florida?

If you think getting this bike is a bad idea, please let me know. http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/7/9/90611279.htm

Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Default RE: Buying a bike with a rebuilt title?

I've always purchased my bikes brand spanking new, right off the showroom floor. IMO, there's waaaaay too many things that could be wrong with a "wrecked" bike. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:43 PM

RR is too much bike for you as a novice rider. Stick to f4/f4i.

Overseas bikes are Nigerian scams.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: halik008

RR is too much bike for you as a novice rider. Stick to f4/f4i.
I appreciate your concern for my health and well being, but I do not consider myself a novice rider. I grew up riding/racing dritbikes and over the past few years I have been riding my friends bikes (gsxr 600 and r6) when they will let me. I am by no means the best rider but I feel comfortable enough to say I could handle the RR just as well as the F4i.

Anyways, thats not what this topic is about.

What are your thoughts about the bike I posted a link to? It looks clean, if it was dropped they did a good job putting it back together. Do you think the bike is worth checking out in person or would you stay away from it because of the rebuilt title? Also, what would be a fair price for the bike?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: GTS1105

I appreciate your concern for my health and well being, but I do not consider myself a novice rider. I grew up riding/racing dritbikes and over the past few years I have been riding my friends bikes (gsxr 600 and r6) when they will let me. I am by no means the best rider but I feel comfortable enough to say I could handle the RR just as well as the F4i.

Anyways, thats not what this topic is about.

What are your thoughts about the bike I posted a link to? It looks clean, if it was dropped they did a good job putting it back together. Do you think the bike is worth checking out in person or would you stay away from it because of the rebuilt title? Also, what would be a fair price for the bike?
dirtbikes are nothing like supersport. Sorta like comparing riding scooters to sportbikes. Occasional quick rides on borrowed bikes will not teach you much either. " I feel comfortable enough to say I could handle the RR" are the famous words of every novice before then went down.

Well not much is posted about the bike. Miles, maintenance, what exactly happened that it was totaled. It's worth checking it out. But with rebuilt title i say under $2500

i wouldn't worry about rebuilt bike. as long at it rides straight, frame, swing arm and frame are true there is not a whole lot that can go wrong on a bike that's not easily fixed.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:21 PM

double tap

Old 11-17-2007, 12:07 AM

i bought my bike with a rebuilt title. When you see that you just need to take some time and go over the bike, looking for little things, maybe ask if you can take the fairings off the look at the frame and such.

My bike is great. I still find little things here and there, missing screws mostly. Nothing important though.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:47 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

salavged/rebuilt titles can be ok .. especially if you are on a budget. most people dont buy them because they worry about re-sale value. not all clean title bikes are as "clean" as their title would leave you to believe.

4/5 of my bikes have been salvaged and all have run like champions. never assume that a salvaged title was wrecked and never assume a clean title is perfect either... with any bike check it out before you buy it, if you dont knwo what to look for chances ar eyou know someone who does or take it to a shop and have them inspect it.

my buddy wrecked his 04 1krr in a ditch and it still has a clean title on the other hand my 02 f4i has a salvaged title just because it was stripped of all plastics , and paid off from insurance and they sold it to the auto auction who sold it with a salvaged title ... crazy world huh ?

Old 11-21-2007, 04:51 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-21-2007, 04:56 PM

hmmmm pushup bra.......

Quick Reply: Buying a bike with a rebuilt title?