General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking My Bike Outside

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep my bike outside all the time also. Only issues I have seen so far, rust on the rotors and chain. Haven't had an issue with tires (knock on wood). If you keep your chain clean, on a regular basis, it should be ok.

The only other problem I have had is birds. I have a 96 900RR, the trunk lock(?) is missing on the rear fairings behind the passenger seat. I also have a 12 o'clock bar, so there is a small space leading into the trunk that birds keep getting into. Once, there was a nice little nest in there, under the passenger seat, lol. I usually leave it uncovered, but when there is inclement weather, I will cover it.

I live out in the boonies, and my only neighbor is an 80 something year old guy. Off the main road, down a dirt road, so theft isn't too much of a concern.

I have had my bike for 2 years now, and she made it through 2 winters. I have her connected to a battery maintainer, but she will usually start right up. Other than the rotors and chain rusting up some, I haven't noticed any other issues.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing to remember: no matter how good the cover, none are waterproof. Especially under the cover. There's a giant hole in the bottom after all

Water can get trapped under the cover or pool underneath. Basically the cover will trap condensation under it. Longer its there, the more time it gets to work on the metal bits.

I cover both my bikes but its against the elements mostly. Everyone on my block knows there's a mint f4i and a new BMW parked in the driveway behind the locked gate with razorwire. Kinda hard to disguise it when the BMW was delivered in a box truck with giant graphics of a BMW 1000rr on it and the delivery guy off-loaded it 30 minutes before i got there. Best theft defense:

Readily acknowledging that if a thief wants it he will get it, full coverage + comprehensive and a Scorpio rlink alarm

Old 01-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the tips guys. Much appreciated. I noticed that my cover wasn't too waterproof this morning. There was frost covering the cover and I took it off to ride and there was some moisture on the bike. I just put theft coverage on my bike last night. I only have a $100 deductible so I should be ok in the event of a theft.