General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! bike dies after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! bike dies after warm up

hey, looking for any suggestions to help troubleshoot what is causing my bike to die after about 2 mile ride.
i have a 87 cbr600 f hurricane, bike has ran horrible since i bought it. im a newbie rider but i do know some basic mechanical sense.

Problem, i rode it to work lastnight [ 40 mile ride] and it started cutting out really bad, even when i open the throttle to stretch out, it dies. and finally shut off on me 20 min in the ride. opened the fuel tank and still had about 2 gallons of fuel. but refilled anyway and drove on to work at only about 45mph but could slightly accelerate to 55.
and then finally this morning on my way home it completely got worse. i could only go 1/4 mile or less and it would bog down like out of gas type thing.finally 10 miles from home it cut off and waited a few minutes to restart and drained battery to crank. so i got it home on my truck.
so me having a little sense i checked the fuel pump wiring, has fire, regrounded, fuel pump not working. so i rerouted the gas line straight to the carbs, and magically it died exactly like it did earlier. if i rev up it cuts out til it dies completely.
so im thinking i have some very bad carb problems or something electrical maybe. but i would appreciate any advice at helping me out.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Can you provide a little history on the bike? Like how many miles on it ? What work has been done on it? Has it or did it sit for any protracted period of time? Is it intact, meaning is everything still on the bike like proper hoses, tubes, filters and whatnot? This type of info will help users here be able to direct you in the best direction.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the regulator/rectifier for heat-signs. Warped/melted plastic connectors, burnt pins, cracked epoxy-fill on the r/r itself. When it over-heats, it will starve the system for current and show a lot of the symptoms you've mentioned. Then when it cools down, it "fixes" itself.

Ern

Old 01-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi , sorry for the late post. been working.
the bike is a 1987 cbr 600f. 21,923 miles. i got this bike from my nephew after he bought his second bike 2 months ago. i do know that the motor has been changed thanks to him, lol, .however, im not sure about any mods to this bike other than what i can see, which is the fuel pump is straight wired with a cut on/off switch, fan is wired to the fuse panel.
so basically its been rigged, haha.
i did fix the fuel problem i had. turns out the fuel pump was not working, so i replaced with a new one from auto store for about 60 bucks. also put on new fuel filter , and boom, shes running better than ever.
although this fuel pump switch puzzles me. i will try to buy a fuel relay switch,cause im sure thats the reason he straight wired it, when i have the money. until then im not sure how long is the pump should run while im riding.
im gonna take some pics now and upload them of the bike, please dont laugh when you see them, if i could i would buy a new one...lol.
also thank you both for your input, and if you see anything from the pics that need correction please inform me, im willing to learn and do what i can to be safe on this thing. thank you

@madd, thanks again, im gonna do that and look it over well for those things just to make sure im not jumping the gun because its running strong now.

ok, i took plenty pics but site says i dont have access to post pictures in my own thread, thats strange, maybe i havent posted enough comments yet. but will upload pics soon as site allows, cause my beastie needs some expert help, lol

Last edited by Sprock; 01-28-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: merge multi posts the edit button does work !