CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

F4 dies after warm up

Old 06-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4 dies after warm up

when i turn the bike on she runs and sounds great, untill she is warm enough and then she starts to bog down, Rpm needle goes up and down, i have her set at 13 or 1400 but it goes up and down getting lower everytime until she dies, any body have any idea??...also lately i been feeling excessive heat near the front of my left foot(shifter side) idk if this is the norm so any insight on that wold help..also yesterday when i took her out i started hearing this heavy 'clicking', sounds like its coming from the rear wheel or might be chain related, just need to know what i can do about all of this, thanks fellas..help me out please i love my baby lol

Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Maybe it's your fuel pump. I had that problem in mine, it would die at idle after warmed up. And idle would go bad before that if I turned on the lights or anything that draw power. The problem is that the pump contacts wear with time and the stop working properly. 30 bucks in parts to solve, if you change the contacts yourself or free if you can live with you fuel pump bypassed, as some people do.
You can test it by bypassing the Fuel pump, connect fuel filter directly to carbs and remove the wire plug from the pump. Be sure that no tube is pinched.

Its not a receipe for all problems but that was my experience.

That might stop that clicking sound too. Are you sure that the clicking sound comes from the rear wheel or maybe it comes from the zone where your left knee is places when you sit on the bike? Mine did that click to when fuel pump was bad, I cannot tell you what was that click for sure, I know that it did came from the carbs and maybe it was the floats bouncing around in the chamber as the fuel pumped intermittently.

I cannot link that heat you fell to any of these situations...

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Been having almost the same exact issue. The click I hear though is coming from under the tank.. Might just need the valves adjusted. As for it stalling out.. I have NOT a clue. I can drive it for 5-10 mins, sit at a light, 1200rpm & bounce to 1400rpm & stall right after. This bike has been a nightmare since I bought it. Got it for $700 cause the dude could NOt figure out why it wouldnt run. The coil packs where not hooked up. Got it home, fired right over! Guy told me his buddy who he bought it from tried to go over a squared curb at 10mph and didnt succeed. So it needed a front headlight and plastic. Forks & rim were already replaced. Well he replaced the rim with a Fireblade rim (16" & skinnier) which I missed, along with the radiator slammed into the exhaust manifold. Just shows if you find ONE issue that seems to be the MOST logical, might not be the ONLY thing wrong Planned on doing the small repair(s), taking it to the track a few times & selling it. Still love riding it and chances are, I will be keeping it..

Old 06-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the r/r, look for any signs of heat damage, both it and the connector.
If you see any melted/warped plastic/epoxy, burnt pins and or melted/bubbly
wiring-check out these links....

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...-solved-27739/

Technical Resources - Resources for Electrical Systems on Motorcycles and ATVs - ElectroSport

Often the bike will begin to bog/lose power when the r/r over-heats and is
beginning to fail to supply proper current to the ignition.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 06-24-2012, 07:10 PM

Could be what was said above, or simply just a fuel filter? My bike got to the point to where the pump would work hard for a few seconds before i fired the bike up, and then it would run kinda rough after warm. Replaced the filter that didn't even look too bad, and the problem was solved.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point Jurgs, start with the basics. Fuel, spark, air.
Fuel filter is a in-expensive starting point and you can write off the replacement
as good maintenance, even if it doesn't cure the core issue.

Ern