CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Rough cold starts (dies), odd warm starts - tuned up

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough cold starts (dies), odd warm starts - tuned up

Ok.. I would really like to get this sorted out. I think its probably something small, but its annoying as hell.

I bought my F3 a few months ago. When I got the bike, I would start it up (with difficulty) choke on and I would have to blip the throttle to get it going. Eventually it would start and RPMS would rise to about 2000 for a while and slowly drop. Once warmed up, the bike started fine with no choke.

Last month I did the following:

1. Replaced plugs with CR9EH9 (damn expensive)
2. Replaced stock air filter with a new stock air filter
3. New oil + new filter
4. Ran Seafoam through the gas tank and directly in carbs
5. Removed carbs and cleaned the float bowls, and the two removable jets (I think that's what their called), and stuck a thin wire in the other non removal jet.

Put everything back together and the bike starts up FIRST try with choke on (its still chilly) and reacts this way while taking the following steps:

1. full choke - no throttle
2. hold start for about 1 second
3. starts right up
4. rpms rise to about 1500 and within 2-3 seconds drop to 400-500

**sometimes it drops even lower than 400 or so and craps out. I try starting again and it will hold the second time at 700 or so. I let it warm up like that and VERY SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY put choke into off position... otherwise it will crap out.

When the engine is hot (riding for 30 minutes or so) and I shut off the bike. With no choke OR full choke but NO throttle.. it will not start... cranks fine but doesn't "catch".

However, if HOLD start and give it a very tiny blip of throttle, it starts up right away and sounds great!

I have adjusted the throttle stop screw to idle at 1400 RPMS when the engine was hot (after 30 minutes highway). It idles perfect when its warm.

Turning the throttle stop screw when cold starting and rpms at 400 does nothing.

Giving it throttle while choke is on, cold starts, rpms at 400 does not kill the motor...rpms will go up higher with the twist of the throttle.

I'm stumped. I'm not super mechanically inclined, and have run out of ideas. Otherwise the bike runs fabulous.

*Gas has been drained.. infacts I've refilled a few times now since owning the bike

*I do not hear any hissing and all hoses are back to their original location and not loose.

*The fuel line hose had a mini crack it in.. wasn't leaking, but I changed it anyway just in case - no change

* previous owner kept it in his (non heated) garage all winter and it was winterized properly.

* carbs really didn't need cleaning. They were spotless already.. cleaned anyway.

* I did remove the throttle cable when removing carbs... does it need adjustment or something?

* on a cold start, the rpms NEVER go above 1400/1500..even with choke on

* bike has 18,500 miles on it.

Sorry for the long post... just wanted to give all the details.