Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Parking your bike!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking your bike!

I live in FL and am new to the bike scene. As I started riding more, I noticed bikes park in regular parking spots but there are also alot that park on the side walk (or whatever you want to call it) right in front of a store or to the side. Is this legal? Does it depend on the state you live in? I feel stupid taking up a huge parking spot as I see others parking right outside the stores. Any suggestions?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Banned
Default RE: Parking your bike!

Just like you are entitled to the entire lane, you are entitled to an entire parking spot...as far as parking on the curb and in spots that would be illegal for cars, I can't speak for Florida law, but I can tell you in Pennsylvania that it is illegal and I can't imagine that being different there.

Still, I do this all the time and have never gotten any sort of hassle from the law or otherwise for it...I think it's one of those things that as long as you are respectful about it and don't block an entire sidewalk or a door to a business or something, nobody really cares.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i see people here in MD doing the same thing. i sometimes think about doing it.......but then i think about what if the bike were hit or knocked over. i dont think anyone would be to blame besides me, i was illegaly parked.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:21 PM
VP

Parking in any spot that is specifically designated as vehicle parking is considered illegal... you can get your bike ticketed, towed, or booted if you leave it on the sidewalk or in the slashed lines between handicapped spots.

With that said, I only do it when the bike will be there for a short period of time and I can't find a real spot.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've talked with a few officers here in NM, and they really don't care where the bikes are parked, as long as you aren't blocking a sidewalk. When I used to work at Best Buy a while back, I used to park right up by the building on the sidewalk. Eventually it caught on and there was always 7 or 8 bikes parked there at all times. Did that for years and no tickets were ever given.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:24 PM
RCR

I do it here in Ca. Only at big stores Lowes,Depot, grocery and such. I don't care to leave my bike out in the jungle so it can be rammed by the carts(cause everyone just pushes em in to any opening they can find). Most of these stores have a big front on them and it is easy to tuck away out of foot traffic.

Its real common so I think its over looked.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: vpsophmore
Parking in any spot that is specifically designated as vehicle parking is considered illegal...
Vp, Im not trying to be an ***. But did you really mean this part of the statement?

And I would say that it really depends on the law, the officer, and the sidewalk. If its a freakin busy as hell sidewalk. Then just park in a spot. Like ShortBus said, As long as you do it respectfully you should be ok.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:10 PM

I pretty much always park up on the side walk.

I like to keep an eye on it as best as possible.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:44 AM

Anyone ever think that if they do park in a regular spot and park in between 2 cars up at the front of the spot, that someone could not look and just whip in thinking it was an open spot and hit your bike?

I think about it all the time. Depends on where I am as to where I park

Old 04-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Retired Super Moderator

i think VP meant to say "any spot NOT designated as a vehicle parking spot"...the rest of his statement kinda reflects this thought.

-Adam

Quick Reply: Parking your bike!