Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Parking your bike!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parking your bike!

ORIGINAL: isolated1523

i think VP meant to say "any spot NOT designated as a vehicle parking spot"...the rest of his statement kinda reflects this thought.

-Adam
No, I think he meant what he said. I just think the "vehicle" part can be misconstrued. There are specific areas where parking spots can only be parked in with cars. Then there are the spots just for bikes.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:35 AM

Just look for signs and use your common sense and never park in or by a handi-cap area.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:52 AM
VP

Doh! I mean't "Parking in any spot NOT pecifically designated as vehicle parking is considered illegal"

But I still park in between cars, in the slashed lines, on sidewalks etc. and I've never heard anything of it. I'm sure the right cop on the right day would definitely fine you for it.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:38 AM

i park in the slashed lines near the front of the store.no issues yet.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: vpsophmore

But I still park in between cars, in the slashed lines, on sidewalks etc. and I've never heard anything of it. I'm sure the right cop on the right day would definitely fine you for it.
For the big stores and shopping centers, the good part is that unless you are in or blocking Handicapped Parking or parked in or blocking a firelane, most police have no jurisdiction. It's private property; most state's laws only address fire lanes and handicapped parking. This won't apply, however, to sidewalks that are city property. Check your own state laws...in Texas, I don't think I've ever parked in a regular space at a Wal-Mart, mall, etc.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: camaro_forums

Anyone ever think that if they do park in a regular spot and park in between 2 cars up at the front of the spot, that someone could not look and just whip in thinking it was an open spot and hit your bike?

I think about it all the time. Depends on where I am as to where I park
That's why you park shallow, it happens.

ORIGINAL: randyjoy

For the big stores and shopping centers, the good part is that unless you are in or blocking Handicapped Parking or parked in or blocking a firelane, most police have no jurisdiction. It's private property; most state's laws only address fire lanes and handicapped parking. This won't apply, however, to sidewalks that are city property. Check your own state laws...in Texas, I don't think I've ever parked in a regular space at a Wal-Mart, mall, etc.
I have not had any problems either. At wally world I park in that big *** open spot by the building in between their entrances, most other big stores I park by the HC. Just keep in mind guys, that the striped lines by the HC area is so they can unload wheelchairs with their lifts, etc, so remember that when parking in the striped areas. I normally try to park in a striped area not by HC spots for this reason.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 AM

I usually park on the sidewalk if theres a safe and easy way on, If not i put the bike at an angle at the back of the spot so people see it in there

Old 04-03-2008, 12:13 PM

I almost always park in a "car" spot, but I make sure to just barily get into the spot, sometimes I even stick out of it an inch or two just so the bike can be seen so no car rushes into what they think is an open spot only to smash my baby

I get nervous parking on a sidewalk cuz i don't want people touching or dropping bookshelves on my bike.....

Old 04-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

/\/\ Haha, good reference. There was a cop who always parked his bike on our sidewalk right in front of the Domino's. So, either its legal in TX, or he just didn't care. I've never actually parked on the sidewalk though, but I see people do it all the time.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:06 PM

i usually park in those hash lines too by the handicapped parking...i just park deep in so if someone were to unload the bike would be out of the way...i try to avoid parking in a spot...although i do forget sometimes...because i'm scared of a car pulling into the spot quickly and hitting my bike...it does happen...I heard on the radio the other day and felt so bad for this girl...she has a bike and works at a mall close to where i am....and she got onto the radio somehow and told them that someone had ran into her bike while she was in the mall working and had caused $1200 worth of damage...

Quick Reply: Parking your bike!