General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch

Before I bought my 04 CBR600 F4i, according to the PO, someone tried to steal it with a screwdriver. There was a big chunk of metal floating around in there, but I ended up getting it out. However, it still requires me to find a sweet spot when trying to turn the key so I want to replace the switch. Is part# 35100-MBW-A11 what I'm looking for?
Should I really expect to spend between $100 and $150 for one? Someone told me that almost every bike uses 'shear bolts' that you're supposed to tighten until the end snaps off and I would have to drill/cut them out in order to replace it, is this true?
After I buy it, do I have to have a locksmith rekey the new ignition to my key? Thanks in advance

Old 01-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianOne
Before I bought my 04 CBR600 F4i, according to the PO, someone tried to steal it with a screwdriver. There was a big chunk of metal floating around in there, but I ended up getting it out. However, it still requires me to find a sweet spot when trying to turn the key so I want to replace the switch. Is part# 35100-MBW-A11 what I'm looking for?
Should I really expect to spend between $100 and $150 for one? Someone told me that almost every bike uses 'shear bolts' that you're supposed to tighten until the end snaps off and I would have to drill/cut them out in order to replace it, is this true?
After I buy it, do I have to have a locksmith rekey the new ignition to my key? Thanks in advance
I'm not sure how the ignition lock is mounted or how you get it off to replace it with a new one and it may be that the new lock comes with a key or set of keys. Maybe other members have more information. I think everyone's locks are different but I could be wrong. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ObsidianOne
Regarding the re-key, you would have to get a locksmith to reset the tumblers to operate your key. There is different kinds of lock cylinders of course. Some can be set up to program using one tumbler pattern, others can be set up to use two, for example you may want to have two keys, one that will operate say the ignition and your underseat hatch for instance. One would be like a master key, and one would be set to the secondary pattern so it will only turn the ignition and not open the hatch. For example. More commonly seen/used with Valet type keys where you want to give them the key but one that will not open glove box and/trunk.