General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well now Im confused....setting valves and 2 won't gauge now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Well now Im confused....setting valves and 2 won't gauge now?

I'm setting the valve clearance on my 06 F4i. I checked them all before taking apart and ordered the new shims I needed. Replaced what was needed, put everything back together and checked clearance again. Everything checks perfectly except the intake valves on #3 cylinder. Specs call for .008". One valve I didn't change the shim, the other one I replaced smaller to give more clearance. Now I can't even get a .002" feeler gauge in there. Why are just these two intake valves giving me such a problem? Engine spins over by hand fine, everything else measures correctly. I'm pretty confused.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you have the timing set at? It almost sounds like you didnt align the cams to set the other valves...
Maybe there is something I missed about this?...

Old 01-13-2014, 06:04 AM

did you measure the shims before you put them in? what they say on them isnt always correct.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like the shim isn't seated correctly...

You measured it, put a smaller shim in there, and now you're getting essentially no clearance - correct? Is it both valves that you can't get the feeler in there? Or is it just the one?

If it's both, is it possible that you switched buckets?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
You measured it, put a smaller shim in there, and now you're getting essentially no clearance - correct? Is it both valves that you can't get the feeler in there? Or is it just the one?

If it's both, is it possible that you switched buckets?
Correct, one shim was not changed, one went smaller, no I can't get clearance on either one. I checked to make sure the shims were seated correctly, along with making sure the cams were installed correctly and I torqued down the cam plate in the correct order [I'm using the factory service manual, which is quite vague honestly]. I didn't think about switching the buckets. I guess its possible, but the 1.90" shim stayed in its bucket the entire time so I don't think it's probable. I got everything put back together so perfectly, sucks taking it back apart again lol. I appreciate the ideas guys.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:23 AM

I had the same exact issue when I did mine last month. Measured, calculated, then ordered the needed shims. got everything back together and properly timed only to find out that the clearances were now so tight, I could barely get even my smallest gauge in.

Problem ended up being a miscalculation. Long story short, I used a positive value, as opposed to negative when I calculated the need shims and ended up going up .007(for example) instead of .007 down, making the valves off by .014(again, example).

I seriously doubt thats your issue, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 PM
Default Agreed

+1 for singram

Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 PM

Thought I'd update in case anyone else reads with the same problem. I took everything apart, again. Checked the shims and buckets, verified cams were set to TDC [which is not the mark cast into the case cover, not even close]. My only logical conclusion is I somehow completely messed up on those two valves only. I must have had no clearance and somehow convinced myself I was getting some. No idea how it happened. I put the buckets in without shims and had loads of clearance so this is my only idea. I bought some much smaller shims to try tonight and see if I get anywhere.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Thought I'd update in case anyone else reads with the same problem. I took everything apart, again. Checked the shims and buckets, verified cams were set to TDC [which is not the mark cast into the case cover, not even close]. My only logical conclusion is I somehow completely messed up on those two valves only. I must have had no clearance and somehow convinced myself I was getting some. No idea how it happened. I put the buckets in without shims and had loads of clearance so this is my only idea. I bought some much smaller shims to try tonight and see if I get anywhere.
Sweet. I'm right over here if you need me.