General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f4i fuel pump priming issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f4i fuel pump priming issue

I searched and I came up with these two threads (most useful imo)
https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...riming-126992/

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...riming-124687/

But I don't fully understand MY issue.

from the beginning: I put my new undertail on and in the process of sliding the tail section on I noticed that my gauges were acting weird. The clock was resetting, and if I remember correctly my tach needle would go from 0-14 and back (like when you turn the key to start it). I then found that this was happening when I tugged on the wires going to the the front most relay (of the two on the rear brake pedal side of the bike, on the sub frame). So loose wires going to the relay, no big deal. I pull the relay off, take the wires out of the harness. Remove the metal connectors that slide into the relays, and put new ones on. Put them back on, reconnect relay and everything is good. Bike starts, runs, everything is normal and I'm happy. I go for a ride, stop somewhere. I go to start bike and no luck. I lift up the corner of the seat, jiggle the relay wires (I have the relay just sitting under the seat for now until I get this figured out) and after 30 seconds of that my clock resets, needle goes 0-14 and back, and we can start. I ride home. Now the bike won't start AGAIN.

How she stands: Wire connections are good. Bike in neutral, kill switch in the run position. All fuses good. I turn key to on position, relay clicks but NO FUEL PUMP PRIMING I lost track of what wires go where in the relay so I tried switching them around (I took a picture before I began so I had an idea of what wires went where, but I forgot the orientation of the relay so once again ) Relay still clicks when I turn the key.

So whats my issue? Whys the fuel pump not priming? Maybe the pump coincidentally went out while messing with my relays? (lately its been fluctuating in sound when I go to start it, but I figured that was just loose wire connections). Could I have screwed something up by swapping wires around on the relay?

If I need a new fuel pump/relay where can I get one? I know motosport has OEM stuff...I'm not trying to pay 18 billion dollars for a new fuel pump but if that's my only option then whatever.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 AM

no one??? I just wanna ride

Old 07-15-2011, 08:05 AM

It sounds like you may have a loose ground somewhere. I would check all of your chassis grounds as well as clean your battery connections.

How many pins are on the relay? Most are the same layout and you could probably do a google image search for a relay with the same number of pins. You'll needa multimeter to test each wire to know what each one is. You should have a power hot, a ground, a low voltage signal wire and the output to the fuel pump.

I doubt your fuel pump went out as you diagnosing the issue. Its possible, but not likely. You can run direct power to the fuel pump and check it that way.

As for getting a new relay. It depends on its style. But if its a standard relay, you can probably just bring that one to your local autoparts store and get a new one if your uncertain if its working. They are not very expensive.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Do you think the fluctuating sound of the fuel pump was an indication of anything? (the sound was only when priming)

Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 AM

Also, are you able to tell me where the chassis grounds are???

Old 07-15-2011, 01:58 PM

And to jump the pump, do I need to remove the pump from the tank? I'm getting ready to lift the tank tomorrow and try it out...I just need to know if I can unplug a harness and jump it or if I need to drain the tank and remove the pump. I would do it today but I have to work soon

Old 07-17-2011, 02:04 PM

The pump works when I hotwire it. Does ANYONE know where the chassis grounds are on the the F4i??????? I would be forever in debt