General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f4i fuel pump not priming

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f4i fuel pump not priming

I have searched the forums already but I am still having problems. I have an 04 f4i, I put it away for the winter and went to start it and the fuel pump is not priming. The starter sounds normal and turns over and all the lights works and horn etc except I dont hear the fuel pump whine when I turn the key.
I do hear the relay click 2 times when I turn the key on. I swapped the relay with the one next to it to make sure it wasnt the relay and it clicked as well.
The bike has not falled over

Here is what what I have checked so far

I looked at the wiring harness to see if there is any corosion or lose wires, rust etc

checked the fuses in the fusebox all are fine

unplugged both ends to the ecu box

I removed the bike battery and connected jumping cables from my car to the red battery cable on the f4i, and then grounded the other jumping cable to the subframe, the starter works but no fuel pump..

what else can I do?

Here is the video of it turning over, if you listen closely there is no whine for the fuel pump and you can hear the relay tick

http://youtu.be/Zoo5mBlN-wU

Last edited by adam833; 06-16-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam833
I removed the bike battery and connected jumping cables from my car to the red battery cable on the f4i, and then grounded the other jumping cable to the subframe...
You did WHAT? Don't do that EVER again. You can potentially fry your bike's electronics.

You've probably covered the basics, but how about your kill switch, is it foward (off)? Are you starting it in gear with the clutch pulled in? Is it in gear with the kickstand down?

Old 06-16-2011, 07:08 AM

oh I didnt, know, thanks for the info

I tried starting it in neutral, with the kill switch in the correct position ..plus if it wasnt in the correct position I wouldnt hear the starter turn at all.
the starter sounds normal, I dont hear the whine of the fuel pump though
I hear the starter while the bike is in neutral with the kickstand down.

Here is the video of it turning over, if you listen closely there is no whine for the fuel pump and you can hear the relay tick

http://youtu.be/Zoo5mBlN-wU

Last edited by adam833; 06-16-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Have you modified the bike at all? Do you have of the fairings or gauge cluster removed?

I tried starting it in neutral, with the kill switch in the correct position ..plus if it wasnt in the correct position I wouldnt hear the starter turn at all.
actually, that only disables the spark and the fuel pump. The bikes engine will still spin over, it just won't start.

A few things that will affect the fuel pump are the fuse, the fuel pump relay, the fuel cut relay, the BAS, the killswitch, and also the TPS can as well, although very unlikely.

How was the bike stored?
Have you jumper wired the pump to see if it actually works?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Have you modified the bike at all? Do you have of the fairings or gauge cluster removed?

actually, that only disables the spark and the fuel pump. The bikes engine will still spin over, it just won't start.

A few things that will affect the fuel pump are the fuse, the fuel pump relay, the fuel cut relay, the BAS, the killswitch, and also the TPS can as well, although very unlikely.

How was the bike stored?
Have you jumper wired the pump to see if it actually works?
no the bike is not modified or missing fairings or gauges etc, it was stored in a storage unit that i rented so the temps were the same as if outside since its not a heated unit. I checked the fuel cutoff relay and the engine stop relay and even switched them both, and then switched them back, the fuse is fine and I checked the killswitch too...

As far as jumper wiring the pump no I dont know how to do that, is it easy to do?
what will I need?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:33 PM

As far as jumper wiring the pump no I dont know how to do that, is it easy to do?
what will I need?
basically, you are just going to lift your gas tank, unplug the fuel pump and run direct power to the fuel pump to see if it works. You can use two wires leading from your battery to the pump. If it doesn't cylce, the fuel pump is bad. If it does, then you have a problem elsewhere. You can also unplug the pump, take a multimeter and see if there is any voltage making it to the wires for that second or two when your turn on the key.

Many times though, things just ge corroded. I would rock your kill switch back and forth about 50 times to see if works. You can leave your key on and do it. You may just have some corrosion that set in between the contacts of the killswitch. You can unplug all of your connections, put in some dielectric grease and reconnect them.

Have you checked the sparkplugs to see if they are firing?
You mentioned removing the battery cables. Did you make sure you re-connected all of the wires? Some bikes will have multiple wires, not just a single positive and ground.

Having said this. Often times when a fuel pump fails to work its due to the bank angle sensor. It is located between the headlights. I would unplug the wiring harness that leads to the headlights and gauge, place dielectric grease and re-connect. You may also have to remove the headlights to gain access to the plug on the sensor itself. You can bypass the sensor by jumping the two outer wires of the 3 wire plug to test it.

Probably not much help. But more than likley its a simple loose connection or corrosion due to sitting.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:40 PM

thanks for the help, I appreciated it....

I jumped the fuel pump today and it did not start or make any noise. I hope I did it right..I unplugged the p3 connector from under the tank, and ran wires to the connector itself because I didnt knwo where else to run them to.. I ran a positive wire to the brown wire connector end in the p3 and neg to the green, the connector also had a brown/green wire in the middle which i didnt touch.
I turned the key on and I didnt not hear the pump.

Heres a picture of an f4i fuel pump with the connector, I drew on it how I connected the wires to the connector, does that look right?

I also noticed that when I had the key on and rocked the kill switch on and off I heard a clicking like relay sound...

Attached Thumbnails f4i fuel pump not priming-garagesale.jpg  

Last edited by adam833; 06-24-2011 at 08:52 PM.