General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR 600 F2 intermittent running/starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 600 F2 intermittent running/starting problems

Hi Guys and Gals! My little sister is having some troubles with her "Goofy", and normally we're able to fix most problems.. but now we really don't know anymore.. I've posted this in general tech, as i don't think it's a specific F2 problem. If this is wrong, feel free to move Really appreciate your help

Specs:

CBR 600 F2 1994, about 30k miles, Dutch model. Sleeps outside under plastic

Problem: bike was running fine when bought 6-8 weeks ago. Fitted a 33bhp restriction kit, still worked fine. One morning left for school and the bike stopped running after about 500 meters. Didn't start anymore. Had the dealer pick up the bike, but when the dealer took the bike out of the van at their place, it started fine again. Got the bike back.

Next morning, same problems. This story already repeated more then four times, also went to the honda dealer everytime. We already did a bunch of troubleshooting, but are out of idea's.. here's a list of things we tried already:

Replaced reg/rect
Fitted a heating kit in the airfilter housing
Replaced battery
removed 33bhp kit
cleaned carbs, filters etc.
replaced vaccuum hose
checked cables etc.

day-before-yesterday we found that the cable that comes from the alternator was loose.. connected it again (after spraying with contact spray) and got the bike running like always after we took most of the stuff apart.. next day we took the bike outside again and took it for 5-6 runs around town... no problems at all, even wheelies no problem..

This morning, bike started fine but again stopped running after about 500 meters. It doesn't stop immediately, but it will first respond bad to more gas, choke, etc.. then it just slowly dies. Starter goes round, it just doesn't fire up..

Temperatures are about 4 degrees Celsius at the moment.

Any ideas are more then welcome! Myself I'm betting on a bad killswitch or camsensor that has it's problems when wet.. so will check those tonight..