CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Starting and running problems....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting and running problems....

ok, so i'm new to streetbikes. Now let me explain the problem
I just had a new rectifier put in. I drove it home from the shop that put it in (about an hour away) it ran great. The next day i go to start it and it turns over really good then all of a sudden It locks up and stops. I'd hit the starter button and it would just click (just a single click, not repeated clicks). So i pushed it out of the garage and shook it back and forth and bounced on it for a little bit because i thought maybe it was stuck in a bind or something, it finally turned over again and started.

it ran fine with not more problems for a week or so. Then i was riding it and it started to bog down when i gave it gas and sputter. It was alright if i was increasing throttle easily but it started to sputter and a constant speed and if i WOT it just bogged down and slowly picked up speed... Then when i'd go someplace i'd shut it off. come back to it 5 min. later and have really hard time starting it.... So i put it up for about a month because i was sick of screwing with it.

I fired it up 2 days ago and was pretty hard to start. i rode it to work, and was running OK, was sputtering a little and bogging, but very slightly. On my way home, the bike dies.... It won't start either. It had gas, but not alot, so i turned my reserve on. It started up and drive awesome. No sputtering or bogging. I get to the gas station and filled it up. Now i realize i forgot to turn the reserve off, but it ran great with no problems. I started it the next day with no problems and drove it to and from work fine. Today i went to go to work and it started to turn over fine then locks up and stops..... same f'n thing as before. just kept clicking and wouldn't turn. I tried to shake it around again and it began to turn very slowly. I kept turning it off, then on, then off, then on and finally got it going. It bogged all the way to work and all the way home...
It doesn't stay bogged out though. Like it'll bog all the way to like 5000rpm then run fine, or it will sputter at constant speed. The same starting issue happened after work too, expect it locked up, then i backed it out of the space and tried it again and it fired right up......

i know that's alot to read, but i'm trying to be as accurate as possible with my symptoms so i can try to figure out exactly whats wrong with it.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Default RE: Starting and running problems....

Yeah, I think the main clue here is that it runs great on reserve but not normal...has to be related to the petcock. First I would take the tank off and clean the petcock, main fuel line and vacuum line...and check the screen on top of the petcock. That will prolly fix it, but just to be sure run about a half pint of seafoam in your next tank of gas.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 PM

i was thinking it could have something to do with that, but then itstarted doing the same thing on reserve after a day. So would that still be the problem? I'll take it off and clean it and see what happens.
But what about the starting issue? Is the starter itself locking up? I'm just trying to get this all straightened out as i don't want it to leave me stranded somewhere.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:50 PM

Your petcock isn't sealing, that locking up is a cylinder filling up with fuel, NOT GOOD. You'll probabaly want to replace that petcock and change the oil. Mine was doing the same thing, and I verified it by looking at plugs and spinning the motor over with the plugs out. Got a good used vacuum petcock from Ebay (mine was manual for some reason, maybe already changed once?), and no more problems.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:17 PM

wow, alright. thank you for all the help. I'll definitely get a new petcock and change the oil and see what happens after that. Thanks again