General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine won't start - diagnosis opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won't start - diagnosis opinions

So my bike 2007 CBR600RR is completely back together.... and today I got the fuel pump to prime!.... but I had to hardwire power to it.... I went through the service manual and checked everything that could cause the fuel pump not to prime and the last thing it said was just a bad connection somewhere in the wire harness..... so I jumped two wires in the fuse box, and the fuel pump primed....

NEW PROBLEM! ----> Engine wont start! ahhhh.... I took the cap off that covers the 4 dead end wires, and jumped the green and black together like the manual said to check the number of "mil"s flashing, and it started with one long one followed by 8 shorts, so I guess 18, right? But either way, one of the steps said it needs to be checked with HDS (Honda Diagnostic System)

heres the question, what would you do? Take it to the stealership or keep trying yourself, I really dont know how to diagnose the sensors cause I dont have a HDS.... all opinions appreciated

Old 02-08-2009, 07:53 AM

Since you dont have the proper tools, you may end up taking it to the dealership.

What all did you to do your bike?. Your post just starts out "got it all back together". a little background on what you did and why may help point you in the right direction of things to check.

A non working fuel pump may be a result of your bank angle sensor either not hooked up, or faulty.

Since you said its all put back together, I'm assuming you have the speedo and everything hooked up. If not, it will not run unless everything is hooked up.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 AM

yea man, i have a build thread on it in the 600RR section..... take a look at that please

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/volcoms-07-600rr-rebuild-near-completion-85165/

and yes I do have the bank angle sensor hooked up, the gauges.... the only thing that isn't hooked up is the headlights/turnsignals/brake lights

Old 02-08-2009, 10:21 PM

Wow, you've been really busy. that was quite the project.

Your code is an 18 code. You could probably give the local dealership a call and they should be able to tell you what the code 18 is. with any luck, it will point to a specific sensor or condition that you can check.

With all the misc. things you did, I would guess it may be as simple as a ground wire not hooked up. there should have been quite a few exiting the wiring harness.

DId you check the bank angle sensor to make sure its functioning properly? A lot of times, if the crash is hard enough, it will break internally.

When you say it wont start, does it turn over and just not fire? or does it not even attempt to turn over?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:36 AM

yea, it turns over, but it just wont fire.... and I tested the bank angle sensor, and it was a rough engineered way because i didn't have the special honda link to test it, and everything seemed fine by way of the multimeter

but like i said I manually primed the fuel pump, i guess a sensor could have something to do with the fuel pump not priming, ill check with my service manual and see what code 18 has to say. ill keep you posted, im not gonna be able to work on it until friday, sucks!