F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Over-the-winter tune up..

Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Default Over-the-winter tune up..

Hello, My unfortunet plan is to sell my bike at the end of the winter. I had put stablizer in it and has it out in my portable garage for the winter. Sadly, it has fallen over so I have brought it into the garage to bring it back to perfect condition. I figure since I have it in I should do some tuning up. It is an 05 with a little under 5000 miles. Any suggestions on things I should do?

Oh, and right now I have stock shield on it that I had painted myself. I would like to replace it but I am trying to keep my spending down. Are the cheap shields on ebay and places like that any good? Or should I just buy a used OEM one?

Old 01-06-2010, 04:44 PM

It all depends on what type of shield you want there are some cheap double bubbles on ebay that I saw I don't know about the quality tho. I do have a extra stock shield ive been wanting to sell off it you would be interested. Other than that, for the tune up spark plugs are always a good idea and a oil change if you havent done that already.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Yeah, I have done my oil and filter change already. I'll look into spark plugs though. How much are you looking to get for stock shield.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 AM

At 5k miles spark plugs should be fine, along with your valve, which should be in spec for 10k more. Things that you could change are brake fluid, fork oil, and possibly coolant depending where you live and what kind of riding you do. Other than that I think anything other would be a waste. A bike will always benefit from a throttlebody sync, but it is best to adjust your valves prior to that. If you did your oil and filter, consider the air filter, either upgrade (from stock), oem replacement, or a clean/ oil if you have aftermarket already.