CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Tune up and such

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up and such

I purchsed my F4 a couple months back with 4800 miles on it. Now that the weather has warmed up and I am done with classes for the summer, I would like to put in a good deal of seat time. But before I start racking up miles, I want to make sure everything is up to snuff. Currently the nike runs and stops great (minus a battery issue). What should I check? I don't have any service records from the previous owner.Heres what I thought:

-- I know I need tires, front and rear. I also think I need a battery. It has gone dead 3 times since I've owned it. Do you think its from lack of riding, a bad stator, or a bad battery?
-- I figure oil change. Might be a dumb question but i'll ask - Is the engine oil also the tranny fluid, or are the cases seperate?
-- Coolant flush?
-- Spark plug inspection and gap check? Or just go for new ones? They are 7 years old, but only have 5k miles. Wires?
-- Air filter?
-- Brake fluid...?
-- Chain? Or maybe some good lube?

My next question is this, if I took it to a dealrship/shop what should I expect to pay? I already got quoted at $275 for tire removal, mounting, balancing, and install. It owuld be 2/3 that if i brought in the rim and did it myself. I have a lot of experince with working on cars, but none with bikes so much... some. Is there an online FSM (factory service manual) or how-to page that could cover these somewhat basic maintainence things? Also, I have no stands--would that make it a problem?

I appreciate any input on any of my many questions. Please be somewhat clear to what you are replying to. Also, anyone in central Ohio that would like to lend me a hand, give me advice, let me borrow their stands, or just wanna ride sometime let me know. Thanks guys, I would love to get it back on the road this weekend.

Jared

Old 06-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tune up and such

any used bike.. i would get replace most of the things

oil change
coolant flush
sparkplug replacements *get the iridium ones and they are pre-gapped dont need to adjust them*
check the brake pads and fluid

and airfilter... i would check it... dont have to replace... but i would...

next... lube up the chain and most of the things that move...

and get your self a service manual... you can download it as well... search around on the forums.