F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

my F4i is making a comeback!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my F4i is making a comeback!

Well, I decided to put my F4i back on the street but still use it for trackdays. Its been a track bike for 2 years now and all the street stuff is gone so its going to be an interesting project. I'm keeping the race plastics and all the go-fast parts on there.

The plan is for a white/black color scheme similar to how I've got my SV painted. It will have a number plate on one side of the front (the area that would be half of the headlights). I need to get everything mounted, holes drilled and all ASAP so I can get the bodywork off for paint next week.

All of the street stuff will be attached using DZUS type 1/4 turn fasteners so it can be track ready in around 30 seconds. I've got the plate bracket/rear signals/brake light assembled and I'm working on the wiring. All of that will be bolted to a carbon fiber undertail and connected to the wiring harness using one connector. The undertail is really just a piece of carbon fiber attached to the tail section using the DZUS's so to all I have to do to remove that stuff is loosen the fasteners and disconnect the one connector.

I bought a Hella driving light that will be attached to the underside of the upper fairing (again using DZUS's). This light is one of the few that uses an H7 bulb rather than the little H4 most of the cheapo driving lights I could find, I replaced the bulb with a PIAA so its bright as hell (no seperate high beam so its gotta be bright). The headlight is wired into the high beam side, so it can be turned off with the flip of a switch.

The only major thing I haven't figured out is front turn signals. I've got some Motrax flushmounts on the way but they wouldn't be quickly removable which would kind of ruin the whole "30 seonc track bike" theme of this project.

I'm not planning on using mirrors, the bike has an aftermarket fairing stay so I can't attach the stock mirrors. I could buy aftermarket ones for dirt cheap but I never use them on the bike anyway so I'll probably just leave them off.

right now I've got my woodcraft clip-ons mounted above the tripples but I don't love that. They were below but clearance was cut way down, so that won't work for street riding. I might try the R6 clip-on thing, that would probably be a good compromise and probably wouldn't vibrate as bad as the hollow woodcrafts.

I've got the kickstand half mounted, problem is I'm missing the shorter bolt its backordered through Honda. I'm going to Fastenal tomorrow to get something that will work. The geometry is back close to stock, it was too high to use the kickstand.

I'll post some more pics as the project moves along, here are some pics for now

plate bracket off ebay with an LED brakelight, the brakelight is actually mounted to a piece of metal strapping (used to strap stuff to wooden pallets) that I cut and bent. The rear signals just came in today, they're Motrax Allycators (really good short stalk signals similar to the LP "Arrow" shaped short stalks but better quality). They will take the place of the bolt in the picture, holding the brake light bracket onto the plate bracket. anyway here is the pic:

Old 08-03-2007, 04:29 AM
Default RE: my F4i is making a comeback!

you could drill a hole in the front fender or side fairingand attach the flush mounts with velcro

Old 08-03-2007, 05:23 AM

ORIGINAL: lamby

you could drill a hole in the front fender or side fairingand attach the flush mounts with velcro
lol i think you should velcro everything! that'll make it a "30 second track ready bike"

lego's would be pretty sweet too!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:50 AM

That's pretty cool.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 AM

one question....first of its really cool what youve done, the only thing id be worried about is the front end diving under hard braking and smashing that headlight.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:25 AM

that is a concer, my suspension is pretty stiff and I rarely ride hard enough on the street to brake that hard. In the event of an emergency and I have to, the underside of the upper fairing has a decent amount of give to it so it should flex in enough to not actually crush the light

Its going to come down to actually getting out and riding with it (the bikes not that far along yet), if it seems like it will be an issue I can figure out something else, but hopefully it'll be alright like it is

thanks guys

oh, not sure velcro is the look i'm going for lol

Old 08-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are ghetto woody...;-)

Old 08-03-2007, 10:40 AM

you aint kiddin, my race bike:

Ghetto Customs rocks

Old 08-03-2007, 12:38 PM

Great idea with the headlight. Looks pretty cool, too. I'll be interested to see what you come up with...a 30 second track bike would be quite a feat.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

muahaha...pretty soon your f4i will look like one of them stunna types bike...
at least it'll work and not like Err's schiznit that's always broken down!