F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

just making sure before i buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just making sure before i buy

ok so i've been researching and i'm convinced that my cctv is bad because i hear the knocking/ticking like everyone says. my main concern is when i'm riding and i leave it in gear and let it slow itself down i hear a really loud ticking/rattling sound until i pull the clutch lever. sooo i'm wondering if it is the tensioner or if i have a clutch issue. because also when i pull the clutch in to coast the headlight dims really badly. i have some mechanical ability but i don't trust myself with a bike yet because if you screw up in a car you can just pull over, on a bike you could dump it and my wife and i have a baby coming in a few weeks so i'm not trying to do anything to hurt myself.
thanks everyone

Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tchyclutch7
ok so i've been researching and i'm convinced that my cctv is bad
"Closed Caption Television"???

But if you mean Cam Chain Tensioner Lifter, then usually, you will hear the ticking/knocking noise while you are riding up speed or down, not just while riding in gear cruising/slowing down. A good indicator is if you hear the ticking at a certain RPM while riding (even in neutral) or when you rev in neutral.

There are many variations to determining if the CCTL is causing the ticking/knocking noise, but for me it was that I heard the ticking at a certain RPM no matter if I was revving in neutral or riding.

I can't remember if my ticking went away from squeezing the clutch, but maybe somebody else can chime in on that.

As for the dimming when squeezing the clutch, I suspect an issue with stator, but again, someone with more experience will hopefully chime in about that.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM

Yea that's what I'm thinking it is on both subjects. I found the tensioner on bike bandit. The part I need is #3 correct? And the stator went on my step dads Harley and had some of the same symptoms I just didnt want to have to do a new clutch if I didn't need to.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:17 PM

You want part #'s 4 and 5, try honda4u.com they have very good prices.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:22 PM

bike on stand, in N, i can hear a slight tick tick..... tick..... that i KNOW is the cct because i rode with a bad one for 15K miles. when i pull clutch the sound stops. in dont know how or why. at first i thought it was a bad bearing somewhere, but i replaced my first cct and problem was solved. as for the headlight dimming, get a battery tender, charge on lowest setting overnight. if you start to notice it developing slowly, r/r is culprit.

edit: r/r OR stator

Old 03-18-2012, 09:47 PM

Ok so.... The ticking on decal was my chain needed to be tightened I saw a rub spot on my swing arm so stupid me, now I know