F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Making an 02 new?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making an 02 new?

Hey fellas. First time poster, long time reader.

For starters, here's my first bike I picked up last January (I'm a rookie, only one season in the mountain passes)

Name:  296764ad.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  128.9 KB

So I laid it down for the first time a little over a month ago while I was riding a new mountain (and it was the first time I wasn't riding someone else's wheel up there). I walked away with a minor concussion and a sprain thumb and wrist, but otherwise scratch free (armor works). Here is some of the damages the poor old girl took:

Front Crowl (Right side)
Name:  0beb63e1.jpg
Size:  103.3 KB

Right lower Crowl (notice the frame slider is torn completely off)
Name:  373b78de.jpg
Size:  96.7 KB

Scorpion Can
Name:  926b2f78.jpg
Size:  114.8 KB

Naked(the tail is still on in this pick, its gone now)
Name:  83aa8016.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  207.7 KB

As you can see, its not that terrible, but its bad enough to where I need a new body on it. It just so happens that I hate yellow, my wife loves it.......

So I'm thinking of buying a kit from a place called CBRFairings.com. They are based here in the states, Daytona, FL actually. Their molds are still done over in Hong Kong, but they have an American office. They'll also modify any colors for you, remove labels, etc....Any advice on these guys? They seem legit.

I'm looking specifically at the West Edition and the OEM Black for the 01-03 models. BTW, go take a look at their Ghost Flame for their 04-07, tell me if you agree with me in saying something seems off about that set:

CBRFairings.com Ghost Flame

A bit of the delima is that the bike has 26K miles on it. It still runs great, but it needs some performance attention soon. Needs a new chain and sprocket(s), air filter, brakes, rear fender needs replacing BADLY, handlebar barrings are done, the can has already been cut once also. Performance obviously takes priority, but where do I draw the line on a bike I could probably only sale for 2.5K-3.5K? Any monkey can do the math here, and I have. If I did everything I wanted to do to the bike, its going to run me around $1500. That's assuming I don't have some major problem pop up.

This is close to what I'm thinking for the final outcome of the bike (all writing in red though):

Name:  c72bd5b2.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  17.9 KB

Tons of questions here I realize, and its somewhat scattered. I appreciate your patients

Old 11-30-2010, 10:19 AM

Tough crowd eh?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:24 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

delkevic fairings or auctmarts are the way to go...

they both offer the west set.... those are the two brands mostly suggested for fairings...

delkevic also offers a all black set

delkevic and auctmarts i beleive both have a us office but are also molded over seats but they are the two by far with the best fit without going to oem

Last edited by __Z__; 11-30-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

Ouch!
What type of frame sliders did you have? I haven't scene one completely ripped off like that before. How fast were you going?

If you have not only the money, but the time, then you could make the most of it and have a nice project on your hands. On the flip side, you might want to just count your losses and sell the bike for what you can and buy a new one.

And as far as those fairings, I always read/hear positive and negative things. I am not sure if I have heard of this company specifically but I would be very cautious. Make sure they have a good return policy too.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Ocalypse
Tough crowd eh?
Hey Johny-Welcome

Give everyone a chance to view your post You literally posted it at 1am this morning. Peeps are just waking up or are at work.

To answer your questions, and its dependent on where you live, you will not get much for your bike as it is, esp with 26k miles. By me your bike would sell for $1500 and would be used as a stunter.

If money is the issue, my advice would be to slowly piece things back together. Do your homework and find cheap prices on parts and slowly reassemble the bike. Start with sprokets and chain, then exhuast and filter. Then the little misc things. Working on the bike will feel rewarding and you will little by little learn to appreciate YOUR bike bc YOU know its history. At least that is how I feel about mine. I know every fluid and modification on my bike and sleep well knowing that I KNOW THE BIKE. Cuz when your out there on the road...its only you two, and if you take care of her, she will take care of you

My answer. Put some time and effort and elbow grease into it and piece er' back together. Do the cosmetic stuff like fairings last!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the advice on brands. I'll try to dig up some US numbers for Auctmart/delkevic.

I was moving between 25-40mph when I came down. My eyes were focused on the big boulder, missed it by about 1.5 ft, so I'm not entirely sure how fast. The bike actually hit hard enough that it bounced and rolled over. I kept the torn off slider as a trophy/reminder of my stupidity.

I honestly had thought of selling it, but I don't think I'd get even $2K out of it with the shape its in, regardless of how well it rides. I do plan on getting a new bike, but my wife isn't not going to be ok with that, at least until I've finished my degree(1 more year). It's still a good bike, so I'll probably opt to giving her some plastic surgery.

Did you guys take a look at the Ghost Flame fairing set? Pay attention to the shape. It's not normal for a F4i.

I'm going to be posting pics as I'm going through the process. I'm an engineer and like using my hands, so I am going to try to do most/all of the work myself. I just got my service manual in yesterday.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:55 AM

Noober: That's just about what I expected on the selling option. Thanks for the advice. I was a little gray on chain or filter first. I'll probably just do both at once now though, I just sold some of my old guitar equip.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:56 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by Johnny Ocalypse

Did you guys take a look at the Ghost Flame fairing set? Pay attention to the shape. It's not normal for a F4i.
you are correct here... basically they just added a little tab of plastic in the middle of the nose to give the headlight a split appearance... thats all def a good idea though

Old 11-30-2010, 10:59 AM

The side and rear crowls are different also. It also looks like the intakes are missing doesn't it?

Old 11-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard. Sorry about your crash. Looks like the sliders did their job.

Check out www.nicecycle.com as well for fairings.

Much of what you mention are routine maintenance items that would have to be done anyway. You can do this maintenance fairly inexpensively yourself.

You could get a used stock can fairly inexpensively just to get a replacement on there for the time being. That would save money as well.

Replace the body panels, especially if you want to retain a higher resale value. Consider getting a style/color that is more mainstream. Reason is; it will be appeal to more buyers & sell easier, when you do get ready to sell.

Good luck w/ everything.

Quick Reply: Making an 02 new?