F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Misc. questions about the F4i engine I just bought.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misc. questions about the F4i engine I just bought.

I hope I don't disappoint anyone with the admission thatI don't have a CBR600, but I figured this was a good place to ask those who know about them. I Ride Red on an XR600, though....does that still count? My old man also plays with early to late '60s Honda Scramblers.

I just picked up a mostly complete 12k mile '01 F4i engine last week for a price I couldn't pass up. The price was so good that I can't help but wonder if maybe there is something wrong with it. It was laid down on the stator side, but it only looks like dirt rash; scratches without cracks or even dents in the cover. The engine wasn't even drained of oil before I got it. Now the questions:

1.) How much resistance should there be when turning the crank over with a ratchet? Is there a torque spec for this?
2.) Is the ignition handled by the EFI computer like most cars these days? I see "CDI" boxes for F4is on 'that' auction site and it looks the same as others listed as "ECUs." I have a MegaSquirt that I can use, but a factory plug 'n' play PGM-FI would be nice to pick up if it does both.
3.) Are there specs for the resistance of the engine sensors? I'd like to make sure all of them are usable before I get elbow deep in making the engine run.
4.) Did the '01s use an O2 sensor?
5.) Is there a problem at all with running an open megaphone header(custom application) besides the tuning?

Old 05-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Default RE: Misc. questions about the F4i engine I just bought.

Well you should already have tested with a ratchet if the motor is locked up or not.
Turn it over ASAP- you just have to gain a feel for these things. If it binds don't force it.
But you should feel the compression strokes.

Yes, there's an ECU.

Buy a service manual off Ebay because you need it.

People on here don't take out their motors or replace them so don't expect much help.
I just have experience swapping motors i.e. Nissan Skyline RB25DET into my 240sx etc etc.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: 65ShelbyClone
1.) How much resistance should there be when turning the crank over with a ratchet? Is there a torque spec for this?
2.) Is the ignition handled by the EFI computer like most cars these days? I see "CDI" boxes for F4is on 'that' auction site and it looks the same as others listed as "ECUs." I have a MegaSquirt that I can use, but a factory plug 'n' play PGM-FI would be nice to pick up if it does both.
3.) Are there specs for the resistance of the engine sensors? I'd like to make sure all of them are usable before I get elbow deep in making the engine run.
4.) Did the '01s use an O2 sensor?
5.) Is there a problem at all with running an open megaphone header(custom application) besides the tuning?
1) Not much, like areacode said it'll feel hard to turn then easy then hard etc, but don't try and force anything.
2) The ignition control is handled by the ECU, not a seperate unit. (However the ecu doesn't do much more then handle timing and injector control)
3) No. They have a peak voltage produced min/max rating, but not a standard resistance that you could check to see if anything is wrong with them.
4) The cali-spec does.
5) There's no problem with it, but you won't get the same power out of it.

And like areacode said, if you're planning on making a cart out of it (which it sounds like you are since you're planning on using a megasquirt) you're not going to get much help here, this is a motorcycle forum, not a help-you-with-your-engineering-project forum.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: therabbit
you're not going to get much help here, this is a motorcycle forum, not a help-you-with-your-engineering-project forum.
Is this belittleing attitude something I can expect around here? You have no idea what I'm doing and act like the whole forum can't be bothered with my questions because you think the engine isnt going into a CBR. I asked general questions that anyone troubleshooting their bike might need answered.

Aside from that, I do appreciate the assistance.
1.) I already had turned the engine over with a ratchet. It had four compression "puffs" out the ports for two crank revolutions, so it appears that all four holes have some sealing. I just wasn't sure how much actual resistance there should be in case it has a spun bearing or something. Usually there are specs for crankshaft rotational resistance after a rebuild and after break-in, at least with automotive engines.
2.) That's what I thought.
3.) The sensors are just thermistors. Their resistance varies based on temperature. There isn't a specification called out for them for bench testing with no power?
4.) Great, one less thing to get. I have a wideand anyway if I need it.
5.) How does it hurt power?

Old 05-31-2007, 06:07 PM

enough talk about bikes lets see that svo. I used to have a black 86. its hard to stay out of boost haha. Currently i have a 93 notch

Old 05-31-2007, 06:52 PM

There are plenty of ECU's and complete bike wiring harnesses on Ebay for cheap since there is very little market for them. Start there. There's a link on this site for an online copy of the service manual- use the "Search".

I say add some spark, fuel, new oil and start her up, not for long obviously!
There will be a couple safety measures like killswitch/sidestand/bike tilt sensor you're probably going to have to work around. But the schematic will alert you to what needs to be done.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: 65ShelbyClone

ORIGINAL: therabbit
you're not going to get much help here, this is a motorcycle forum, not a help-you-with-your-engineering-project forum.
Is this belittleing attitude something I can expect around here? You have no idea what I'm doing and act like the whole forum can't be bothered with my questions because you think the engine isnt going into a CBR. I asked general questions that anyone troubleshooting their bike might need answered.
We get A LOT of people who come in here that are building carts for the Formula SAE challenge, I was part of it for my school when we did it so I know what to look for. I'm not belitteling you, I'm telling you that if you're not putting that into a CBR chassis you're not going to get much help, not because we don't want to help you, but because most people here couldn't help you. They're used to having the engine sitting in the frame, they know where the relays and computers are hooked to the subframe, how vacuum tubes are routed, etc. They don't know what a megasquirt or motec ecu are or how to help you with your fuel mapping and timing. And considering I answered all the questions you had I don't see where you're getting your attitude from.

Now having said that, if you're planning on putting it in a frame and building the bike up around the engine, then you'll get all the help in the world here. The reason I said it is because you're talking about custom exhaust headers and a megasquirt ecu, all you're missing is asking where to put a restrictor plate and you're setup to build a cart.
1.) I already had turned the engine over with a ratchet. It had four compression "puffs" out the ports for two crank revolutions, so it appears that all four holes have some sealing. I just wasn't sure how much actual resistance there should be in case it has a spun bearing or something. Usually there are specs for crankshaft rotational resistance after a rebuild and after break-in, at least with automotive engines.
2.) That's what I thought.
3.) The sensors are just thermistors. Their resistance varies based on temperature. There isn't a specification called out for them for bench testing with no power?
4.) Great, one less thing to get. I have a wideand anyway if I need it.
5.) How does it hurt power?
1) May be so, but all I've seen for the F4i are specs for clearances and such.
3) I thought you were talking about sensors like the cam and ignition timing due to your other questions.I'm not sure what the specsare for oil and water temp sensor.
5) The stock exhaust/airbox/heads are setup to get as much as possible out of an NA engine (The heads can benefit a lot more from some good headwork...), unless you're turboing it you'll hurt scavenging by running megaphone headers.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:23 AM

I was getting defensive because I percieved what I thought was a "you don't belong to this club" tone. I've expeienced it before so I responded like I did. However, I didn't know that kart/FSAE project people came around here enough to be irritating; that changes things. No hard feelings I hope. I actually am going to be building a bike around this engine, btw. Problem is that this injected engine needs so much of the original electronics to be practical, I had to ask all the annoying questions about how they work in order to know what parts I can and cannot live without.

I'll search for the online service manual right away.

ORIGINAL: punchit

enough talk about bikes lets see that svo. I used to have a black 86. its hard to stay out of boost haha. Currently i have a 93 notch
Aside from being an SVO, it's not a showstopper. Just a black slapper '84 with an E6 manifold and 23 years of age that show. I used to have an '89GT before the current cars.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:57 AM

You've got a pm

Old 06-01-2007, 11:29 PM

Got it, thanks!